Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is there a Diesel FAQ or newbie info somewhere....?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Greg72, Mar 26, 2003.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Hi Diesel Guys/Gals!

I want to learn some basic info about diesels (Cummins, Duramax, 6.2, 6.5 ????) and instead of hammering you with a bunch of questions, maybe you could point me to where the "basics" are????

BTW -> If I'm ever going to do Moab again (especially once I move to NH) I'm going to need a tow-rig. I can't afford anything new, so I'm hoping to learn how to shop for a good used one.....

Thanks!

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Greg,

There isn't a diesel FAQ (yet...) but this forum is small enough that doing some back reading will get you a good chunk of info. I knew jack about diesels before I swapped my 6.2 in and learned pretty much all I know in here reading and asking dumb questions.

You could save the dumb question part by reading most of my posts here.../forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Rene

3. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

I got my Diesel last July, and had no idea about anything...now I'm answering questions in this forum. You spend enough time here, you'll pick up lots of stuff. That and I read my manual all the durn time.

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

So Still no job here?
    You decided to leave us?
    Well anyway learning about diesel is like you learned about 4wheeling, you can pick it up fast if you really want it.
    Rene was here for maybe a month and he did a diesel swap for his 350SBC and now he is as knowledgeable as anyone here.
    I was introduced to Diesels a couple of years ago, and reading got me to where I am.
    I have ways to go still but I am able to help out lots here so I am getting there.

5. DieselFreak

DieselFreak Registered Member

Same for me. Read through the posts and learned at the same time. My diesel would have been running like an a$$hole if it hadn't been for this site.

6. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Same for me. With this this place I did all the work on my truck myself and saved some $$$. Mike

7. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

Ditto here. This place and http://www.thedieselpage.com are very good sources of info for GM diesels.

If I ever have the time and some extra cash, I'm going to do an engine rebuild on my 6.2L, and I plan on documenting the entire process. I also want to do some performance modifications to the engine once I have enough tools to make the parts I need. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif