Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

is there a difference between van mirrors and ours ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big d, Aug 23, 2004.

1. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

(chrome/stainless steel style) do they mount the same ? is one superior to the other ? i found some real good condition ones in a j-yard and was curious if they would work.thanks 4 any input in advance. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

They're close..but they have different arms...

3. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I believe they are identical except for the arm piece that connects the mirror to the mount. That piece is curved further inward on the vans. They would work great for parts or you could use the pair and just have them sit a little snugger to the body.

4. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

i had them on my rig, i wouldnt spend time putting them on a truck. it doesnt allow the vent windows to open all the way without moving the mirror. the driverside was pretty bad, the passenger side was tolerable.

if you dont use your vent windows, go with van mirrors

5. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

cool, thanks guys. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I used van mirrors on my 79 C10,I knew the arms and where they meet the door are slightly different--but the price of 20 bucks for the pair was a good deal, and an a inspection sticker coming due meant I had to put something on there--the junkyard said I could rob the arms off a broken pickup mirror if they didnt work out--but I havent felt the need to yet... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

7. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Like the others said the arm is the main diff.
    It has the extra bend in it, and it is thicker, which makes actually mounting them a little tricky.
    That could be because mine are power though.

But here is what they look like on the rig.

[​IMG]

Mine are power heads off a mid 90's van, so they are a little diff, but I don't have any problems with the vent windows on my set up.

8. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

cool, thanks 4 da pic. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

9. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

three arm, or the 80s ones without arms ??

i have some of both, pairs, still i think, i can look, if ya cant get them fro the yard for a good deal then i can help maybe

the older three arm oens only diff is the top arm, yeh
    so you would need a pair of pickup top arms, in which i should have around here too

good luck