Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is there a good place to lose your driveshaft?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by POWERMAD, Mar 30, 2002.

1. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

You betcha... in the driveway.
    True to form my rigs always break down in my yard. LOL
    I started to work this afternoon and just let out the clutch and started rolling.
    I heard a tink and just as soon as I thought that sounded like the shaft, it started knocking at the floorboards.
    Oh man good thing I was just starting to roll and not doing 70mph when it turned loose.
    As it was it tore up the yoke on the shaft but I was able to smooth it out and slam another joint in it and get to work.
    I tell ya all my rigs give up the ghost at home.
    Trannys, clutches, engine troubles from the minor to near fatal
    Flat tires, you name it my rigs seem to always make it home and then die.
    There have been a few exceptions like when the flex fan parted company and chowed the radiator in the burb, but I just pinched off the offending tubes and made it home.
    Now I just have to see why the joint failed.
    It was only 4 months old, but it was one crispy critter.
    And I had just shot grease to it a couple of weeks ago.
    I found one cap and it was fried, I could find no bearings any where and I had no vibes prior to the failure.
    One retainer was missing so I suppose that is was started it.
    That cap left and the other got lonely and tried to find it.
    Good time as any to upgrade the shaft, but I was holding out till the lift goes on.
    Oh well.

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

It's funny that a guy can break down and still consider himself "lucky"...../forums/images/icons/wink.gif

I had a buddy lose his rear u-joint on the highway and it caused some pretty severe trauma to the underside of the truck- cracked TC, totally smashed exhaust, cracked gas tank, and dented floorboard. It wasn't pretty.......

3. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Ah man at first I was pissed, I was gonna be late for work.
    Then I realized what could have happened and I just patted the fender and thought "good girl"
    My baby looooves me. LOL

4. Klef72K5

Klef72K5 1/2 ton status

Did you replace the u-bolts too? If there is one bent or if you over tighten the nuts you will burn them up. The torque should only be 15-20 lbs.

5. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

No u-bolts , but ya I replaced the straps.

6. Klef72K5

Klef72K5 1/2 ton status

Did you just lift the Blazer? If so it maybe your pinion angle. What condition is the yoke in? My Jeep yoke was all gauded up from previous u-joint breaks and was causing the same thing. They would only last a 2 weeks!

7. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

POWERMAD....All I can say is.. your a lucky dawg. I always loose my $hit running down the highway. But at least I carry 500lbs of tools with me.lol Lost the tranny one time and had to cut the floorboard and flintstone it home. Burned the tread right off my reboks.

8. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

I guess I've been lucky for quiet awhile now. My truck hasn't left me stranded yet. We've had it for 10 years and it only left us stranded once. That was when the tranny went out and that was 9 years ago.

9. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I have lost a u-joint twice while going down the road. It was actually a good experience. It was the front joint on the rear shaft, and when it went I got a horrible wobble. Without thinking I let off the gas and when i gave it some gas a few seconds later the shaft departed and did a job on the floor and mufflers. The second time the same thing happened but this time I let off the gas and just pulled it over. The second time the shaft did not drop. Something to do with the pressure that coasting put on the half destroyed joint. Wasn't until I applied gas that the joint had been finished off before.

Of coarse all situations are different, and next time will probably be different. The problem that caused the failure before was a worn yoke, so the joint didnt break but came loose and apart.

10. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

If your truck is gonna take a crap that is the best place for it.

11. Qubit

Qubit Registered Member

I lost mine in a bad place. lol:

i was driving north on the 405 in los angeles...haulin' ass at around 80mph...i enter the 405 North to 101 west transition (for those that don't know, the 405 north turns into lanes #1 and #2 of the 101---the fast lanes)...so there i am goin' under the overpass, and the damn truck starts to shake like crazy...so, i'm goin 80 mph in the #1 lane, with about 6 lanes (!) to cross in medium traffic moving at 70-80 mph...hazards go on..i'm glancin' at every mirror trying to find out everything comin' at me from behind (I got 1 passenger with me and I was plannin' that if we got stuck in the middile of the highway..we're gettin' the hell out and dodging cars to get to the sides)...well, i make it over to the side (no real shoulder there) and the truck is still moving, but shakin' like crazy..so I go for the next exit...probably about 1/4 mile away...i'm goin' slow..people are seeing my hazards staying away from me..cool no problem...i make it to the start of the exit...cool almost there...BOOM...CRASH...BANG...BUMP...[censored]... something fell off the truck...now I'm gettin no power to the wheels...so i coast downhill to the side of a road...not a very safe spot..but not too dangerous either

had it in my mind right there and then to dump the old K5 and get something new (i got the dough for a late model vehicle, but I'd like to purchase a house first). fortunetely, i came to my senses a few weeks later and i'm keepin' it.

makes me want to replace everything related to the supension...leafs, u-joints, axles, etc...everything looks "old" underneath...not rusted...but old...

12. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

My friend always tears up stuff on his driveway. He has broken several u-joints, a 12-bolt, and a D70 1.5" 35 spline axleshaft! But he's also very talented at breakage. One time we were trying to go up this steep hill which had a 2 ft solid rock ledge close to the top. Well, he proceeded to climb the ledge and a rock that was poking out hit his rear driveshaft and broke the rear u-joint, the driveshaft slung up and punched several holes in the floorboard, then the front-most u-joint and t-case output yoke broke. He had 39.5 Boggers and didn't want to risk breaking front 1/2 ton front shaft climbing the ledge. So I manage to get to top of hill after cutting down a small tree with chainsaw and driving around the side of his truck. I start pulling on his truck with snatch strap and my new 39.5 TSLs are digging hard in the ground. Then I hear the snap crackle pop under my truck. I broke my rear driveshaft, both u-joints, and t-case output yoke. Also broke my spring pads ( they were already cracked and on my need -to-replace list). So we try to come-along it to no avail, and finally our friend goes and gets his Powerstroked Superduty F350 4x4 and pulled him right up the hill w/no problem. The next time we come to the area to go wheeling, we realize there is an access road at the bottom of the hill that leads to the pipeline which leads to the road. Boy do we feel stupid. At least now we've upgraded to full 1350 rear drivelines with NO bastard joints.

Will

13. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Yep as I go along I just go bigger from what i broke.
    What gets ya by eventualy gives out.
    But like the ol saying if it aint broke don't fix it LOL