Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

is there a point to pullin off the belt on a busted air compressor...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by amm888, Apr 11, 2003.

1. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

...or is it an air condensor? my ac doesn't work and i ain't plannin on fixin it (no time soon, at least). if i cut the belt around the compressor will i free up a little more power? will it effect anything else?

i think there's been previous discussion about this, but i couldn't find jack on the search (so don't yell at me!)

thanks
    alex

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Does the belt drive any other accessories?

3. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

hmmm...good question. i don't really know. i don't think so, but how do you check for sure?

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    hmmm...good question. i don't really know. i don't think so, but how do you check for sure?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, open up the hood, and see how the belt is routed throughout the throng of accessories. If that belt is only driving the air compressor, then all is good. If it drives something like the alternator, then no you can't remove it.

I don't know about the earlier K5's, so you will just have to look under the hood or wait for someone who knows them to tell ya. It's not that hard. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Alex, I think it also drives the AIR pump (smog thing). A GM mechanic told me (IIRC) that if you remove that belt, that pump doesn't work and it affects how the truck runs.

6. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    Alex, I think it also drives the AIR pump (smog thing). A GM mechanic told me (IIRC) that if you remove that belt, that pump doesn't work and it affects how the truck runs.

[/ QUOTE ]
    The mechanic was full of it. I unhooked my AIR pump a few months ago and it hasn't affected the truck one bit.

7. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

Well, I have noticed one thing about unhooking air pumps. They tend to have a high state of lockup when they are not used. I'm not sure why, but that is my observation.
    Blake

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    Well, I have noticed one thing about unhooking air pumps. They tend to have a high state of lockup when they are not used. I'm not sure why, but that is my observation.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yup, I've read that. I guess I'll cross that bridge if I'm still in this smog nazi state come registration time in a year.

9. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

It isn't going to make much of a difference since the compressor doesn't run unless you tell it to. The belt probably also drives the power steering pump. But the power steering pump probably has its own belt too. Mine does.

One of the things you can do is get rid of the AIR pump. You don't need that. Just make sure you block off all the junk when you remove it.

10. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

i just took a closer inspection of the whole belt deal, and it appears that the belt is only fully around the thing that is driving it. one 'leg' of the belt kinda side swipes another wheel, but that wheel seems to have it's own seperate belt that is driving it - sorry guys, i don't know the names for these things.

BUT, what i'd also really like to know is - is there a point to cutting the belt? will i get any more production from anything else? or should i just leave it as is?

11. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

Pam,

i'm not sure if my truck has all the smog stuff - when i had it smogged the guys told me that my truck didn't have very high standards to pass cause it was a federal truck (i think that's what he said, something about the state it was produced in) and therefor didn't need to have all the smog stuff.

i could be wrong.

12. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Alex,

If that's a federal truck, you lucked out I think. Landsmasher has a federal truck too, and it came stock 3/4 ton instead of 1/2. More heavy duty than 1/2 tons like mine.
    Dunno about smog standards tho. Yours runs well enough I'd bet it'd pass and they wouldn't notice whether you had the AIR thing on there or not. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Some people belive the belt drags and robs HP. I can't say one way or the other. If it's not driving anything else, it couldn't hurt to remove it.

14. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

just leave it...if you ever fix it, you might have to remove other belts to put that one back.

15. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You won't free up any noticeable power...it's a clutched setup, and only drives the pump when it's commanded.

One thing you might do if it doesn't work (as in all the freon leaked out) is to unplug it. Don't think unplugging the unit will change anything, except there will be no chance that it's taking any power from the engine if the switch gets hit to AC.

As an aside, can anyone comment on whether the later units ('81+) command the compressor on when its in the defrost position, like some other GM vehicles?

16. Dale fan

Dale fan 1/2 ton status

Yep, the compressor should engage when the defrost is selected.

17. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

My 84 does. It's there to keep vehicles with air conditioning in the northern climates from ending up with a noisey pump after not being used for months.

18. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

A normal V-belt is 94-98% efficient as long as the pulleys are aligned perfectly and the right tension is used. A cogged v-belt is supposed to be 1-2% more efficient because it's more flexible. Those synchronous belts they use on superchargers are supposed to be 98-99% efficient.

As a side note, a spur gear system is about 98% efficient. Hypoid gears (like you see in motorcycles) are a lot less efficient. Worm gears are terribly inefficient.

19. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    As an aside, can anyone comment on whether the later units ('81+) command the compressor on when its in the defrost position, like some other GM vehicles?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yup.

20. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

thanks all - i'll just be leaving it in then.