Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

is there a poormans Xover?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dleroy43, Aug 18, 2004.

1. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I would like to go Xover and hopefully improve the /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif steering. It seems like a simple task but over $500 dollers in parts /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif not including shipping doesnt sound too appitzing. Any names /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif (other than ORD and SKY) or ideas /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif would be helpful. Thanks

2. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

when it comes to steering and brakes, i will gladly pay for quality work to help enshure a long life /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif, you could probally source some of the parts your self and save some money but i would really pay the money for the steering arms

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

4. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

all you have to buy is the ps arm... everything else is off the shelf or outta a yard

2wd box
    ford arm
    make the draglink
    buy the ends from a parts store

its not that much

5. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'll check those other sites out. How do bend a tierod without a bender? /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

6. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i think i remember Tim (84chevyk10) saying he got a kit from sky for like $375

instead of bending the drag link, oyu could make a different engine crossmember. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

7. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yeah Sky has some pretty good prices. then all you need is a 2wd box /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    i think i remember Tim (84chevyk10) saying he got a kit from sky for like $375

instead of bending the drag link, oyu could make a different engine crossmember. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I paid $320 for my crossover to the door.

Then Sky realized his competition was priced higher and raised his prices. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Still good stuff though.

9. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Did mine with all used parts, arm/knuckle, box, pitman arm, only part I bought new was the drag link and ends...
    Also sent the box to redneck ram for a rebuild and port tap.

10. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'll check those other sites out. How do bend a tierod without a bender? /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

to make the draglink you mean?

just slide an old tierod into a class 3 hitch, say on the back of your fathers grand waggoneer /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif, heat it with a propane torch and jack it with a hi-lift or a floor jack jack

11. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

See if you can find some of the parts in the used parts section here on CK5. I got lucky and bought a D44 with an ORD crossover setup on it already. You don't want to know how much I paid for it. I ended up paying $75 smackers for a freakin 2 WD steering box. Just for the Damned shaft. I put my 4 wd shaft in the 2 wd box and will probably just keep it as a spare. There is a write up in the tech area on the home page by someone who did most of the stuff himself. I think he saved a bit of money that way. It seemed like more of a pain to me though. Just my 2 cents /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Just so you guys know, putting a 2wd shaft in your box is GRAVY! I was all worried thinking it was a big deal, but it's SOOOOOOOOOOO easy!

13. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

Timmy, Do you have any write up info on the 2wd sector shaft changeout? Im berry interested in this.. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Remove the pitman arm, center the steering wheel, take the four bolts out of the aluminum cover in the top, and tap the shaft with a hammer and it will come right out.

Have a drain pan ready, it will make a hell of a mess if you don't.

It really is that simple. The hardest part is removing the pitman arm, you'll need a pitman arm pull and that is it.

15. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

16. stallion85

[ QUOTE ]
    Remove the pitman arm, center the steering wheel, take the four bolts out of the aluminum cover in the top, and tap the shaft with a hammer and it will come right out.

Have a drain pan ready, it will make a hell of a mess if you don't.

It really is that simple. The hardest part is removing the pitman arm, you'll need a pitman arm pull and that is it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like Tim said it is that easy. I didn't use a pitman arm puller though. I just had my Dad hold a Heavy bar with pressure on the pitman arm while I whacked the round part with a hammer. It fell right off. Piece of cake!

17. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I used a BFH and some testicular fortitude to get the pitman arm off the sector shaft.

Tim's price on crossover of $320 is deceptive though. He has a D60 not a D44 which is cheaper to do crossover on.

If you are going to offroad the truck you had better add in the price of getting or making a rock rod tierod too. Otherwise you will bend the stocker.

D44 crossover isn't cheap, but I will attest to the fact that it is WELL worth it if you offroad. I love it and it is one of the best mods I have made to my truck.

Harley

18. stallion85

[ QUOTE ]
    I used a BFH and some testicular fortitude to get the pitman arm off the sector shaft.

Tim's price on crossover of $320 is deceptive though. He has a D60 not a D44 which is cheaper to do crossover on.

If you are going to offroad the truck you had better add in the price of getting or making a rock rod tierod too. Otherwise you will bend the stocker.

D44 crossover isn't cheap, but I will attest to the fact that it is WELL worth it if you offroad. I love it and it is one of the best mods I have made to my truck.

Harley

[/ QUOTE ]

Harley, I did the X over thing and really didn't notice that much of a change. Maybe I just don't have enough experience without it but I still don't think I have full lock steering at full droop. Maybe it's just me? Also the 2" bend that ORD does on the draglink is critical. I have a factory crossmember and with the 2" bend the draglink fits snugly in the gap of the x member on a 2.5" lift at full flex. Just some jee wiz info....

19. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    from his sig line
    [ QUOTE ]
    89 sub, D60/14FFdetroit 4.56, 35" MTRs, 4" rough lift

[/ QUOTE ]

thats what i thought anyway

20. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    I ended up paying $75 smackers for a freakin 2 WD steering box.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just sold a 2wd steering box to a guy for 20 with the aluminum peices ported already and a set of aluminum peices unported. It was like 39 bucks to his house.