Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

is there a roofer in the hiz-ouse?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jekbrown, Apr 19, 2007.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

if any1 is following my home-buying thread, they know the place we are trying to buy has a crappy roof. On friday, I need to give my realtor a list of things we are going to ask for in post-inspection negotiations. Basically, the inspector told me...

1) the roof is on 24" centers.

2) originally (1968) the roof was wood/shake type. Between the tops of the trusses are 1x4" boards that the old shakes used to attach to. Since then, a composition roof has been added on top of that system, complete with standard decking (thickness? i dunno).

3) because of the added weight, things have sagged in some places.

Now, the buyer has already agreed to replace the roof prior to closing. The question is, what specifics do I ask for in writing during the inspection process so I get a good roof in the end. I did some research online and from what I have read, and what the inspector said, it sounds like the existing materials (shingles, felt, 3-tab decking and the 1x4" "decking") will all have to be removed... trusses repaired/reinforced so that the "nailing surface" is flat again, and then new decking, felt and composition shingles added. From what I understand, for 24" centers, you need 5/8" plywood, rated Exterior 1 Surface. I don't want to mess with OSB... yes, I know its cheaper, but I'd be willing to pay the difference. OSB that gets wet blows chunks... and this is a roof... in the Wet State.

anyway, things I want to specify:

1) complete removal of existing roof down to the trusses.

2) repair/structural improvement of the trusses necessary to get a flat/level nailing surface.

3) 5/8" plywood decking.

4) Architectural-type composition shingles... the type that have the anti-moss stuff built into the granules that make up the shingles texture.

obviously, all construction work would have to be done by a licensed contractor etc. On #3 and 4 I am willing to pay the difference between the good stuff and OSB / arch shingles... but I'll float the "you pay it all" offer out there first just to see what they say. ;)

anyway, for you roofing gurus... does all of the above sound sane/reasonable? Inspectors refuse to give out "this is what you should ask for" advice, because they don't want to be held liable. That is understandable. I'd like some input from peeps that know roofs, if there are any here!

j

2. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

This is a mess Jek. You might end up walking from the house because of this - be prepared, don't get too attached to it.

Tearing off the old roofing is the easy part - the hard part is fixing the trusses. It really depends on the roof construction how difficult (read $$).

If they are are the standard mass-produced trusses with roll-on gussets, I think they are hard to fix. When the roof sags, the gussets start to tear out of the wood - after they get pulled into alignment, they would have to be reinforced somehow.

Plus, this will probably create/re-open cracks in the ceilings throughout the house.

I'm not sure what methods they have to reinforce existing trusses - I'm interested to hear what some of the real roofer-types have to say. I'd have to be VERY comfortable that the fix is really going to provide you with a solid roof for years to come. The last thing you want is to be fixing this again in 10 years.

I used 1/2" OSB on my roof - with 24" centers - it really isn't a problem. 3 years ago, OSB and plywood were about the same price. I don't think you need 5/8.

3. jekbrown

believe me, I am prepared to walk if I don't get what I want. The inspector said it was a problem but was fixable with a good roofing contractor. Apparently they can use jacks to level the trusses and then add some kind of reinforcement to ensure that they will hold in place for the long term. :dunno: If it ain't fixable, I won't be able to get a VA loan anyway, so its not like I'll have a choice if that is the way the cookie crumbles.

As far as the 5/8" thing goes... I'm just going by what I read online. I dunno jack about roof construction... but apparently 24" centers call for 5/8" ply.

j

4. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

My uncle runs a steel roofing company, if you're willing to go that route. They might drive to Couver area.

5. jekbrown

metal roofs rock.... but they are kinda spendy and the roof issues would have to be fixed either way. The good thing here is that the seller has already agreed to replace the roof anyway.... so they know that they are gonna have to pay $x,xxx already. We are basically going to tell them, 'yeah, you have to pay $x,xxx... and another thou or two on top of that to fix these issues found by our inspector'. They didn't even counter offer on our initial offer... so my sense is they are happy to get what we are paying them.... which means they might be more willing to shell out a couple of extra grand just to make sure the deal goes through and they get their payday. The place has been vacant for a little while, they are prolly tired of paying taxes on a place they don't live and want to get the $ out of it ASAP. We'll see what happens. At any rate, I have a thread about the house buying process already... lets stick to actual roof tech in this one. :)

j

6. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

I can set you up with the number if you want to at least chat with them. :D