Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is there a selectable 14 Bolt FF locker yet??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Eric M., Mar 15, 2005.

1. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

I've been driving with a Detroit Locker in the rear of one truck or another for about 15 years now. I presently have one in a 14 Bolt FF in the back of a 91 Burb. I'm sick of it ... in that rig atleast. I use it mostly for highway driving to the snow. Sometimes I hit snow on the highway, but nothing an open carrier couldn't handle. I do need the locker for about 100 feet getting up the drive of the cabin, that's it. I just don't like (or need) the locker for the curvy highway drive. Yeah, I know all about it's characeristics and how to deal with them ... I'm just getting old and don't want to anymore!! Plus, at times others drive the truck who aren't familiar with the lockers characteristics. Curvy, dark, narrow highway lanes aren't the best place to learn about them.

Who makes (or is promising to make) a selectable locker for the 14 Bolt FF? I want an open diff. that will convert to a locker (NOT spool, like the ARBs) at the flip of a switch. If I have to, I would go with a selectable spool (I think I read here that ARB just released one) but would really like to find or wait for a selectable locker.

Any ideas guys?

Thanks,

Eric M.

2. folkenheath

folkenheath Worthless Trash Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have never heard of any company making a differential for any rearend that converts from open diff to an actual locker mode. All of them that I know of (ARB, E-locker, Electrac, OX, etc.) start at an open or limited slip mode, and convert to a fully locked(spool) mode.

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Actually what you are looking for is a slecetable Limited Slip and as Folk said, I dont think anyone makes one. The ARB, T-lockers and such are all selectable lockers. They are open when not locked and a spool when they are locked.

ARB and Teraflex both have the 14FF in the making but neither has released them yet.

Have you thought about switching to a Gov lock? It woudl give you better driving characterisitics and a little less traction when you need it locked.

4. dark eternal

dark eternal Registered Member

Dont put a g80 in, please please dont. They are trash.

arb makes their air locker for the 14 bolt, but like you said its LOCKED when engauged. I dont think what your looking for exsists, but since its selectable why do you care? Use it when you need it and then just flip the switch. You cant beat the arbs reputation. They are pricey though, and not sure about availability for the 14ff.

5. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Have you ever broke one(in a 14FF or any other app) or are you going by all the hear-say?

In this type of application, I think it would be just fine and especially in a 14FF...

6. dark eternal

dark eternal Registered Member

I blew my new style (1999 + which are stronger) apart with 35s in my 10 bolt. Ive replaced numerous ones for people, including 14ff ones. In fact I was wheeling with a guy when he blew his 14ff one. Ironically I made it through the same spot with my g80 locked 10 bolt at the time :cool1:

Here is an interesting break on a g80 i encountered a few weeks ago.

[​IMG]

Not really the typical break. O yeah it was also blown out the traditional way as well.

7. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

I broke mine in my 14bolt ff, 6.2diesel/700r4 4 low 36x12.50 sx climbing a hill and ka-boom:confused:

8. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

I do have a Gov Loc in one of my rigs. I've found it drives nice, but it doesn't seem to lock up that well. Could be mine is worn out ... do they wear out?? I think you guys are right, I misunderstood some of those selectable lockers to be open and switch to lockers, not spools, but, I guess they are posis (or lockers) that switch to spools.
    Any of the posis / spools out there drive any better than the Detroit when in the posi mode?

I might just go with the ARB. For what I need, it may be fine. Is ARB the best bet or can anyone recommend an open / spool unit better than ARB?

Thanks for the help.

Eric M.

9. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I think you are still misunderstanding how a "automatic" locker works. Or perhaps I am reading your post wrong but.

An automatic locker is kind of always locked and feels when it needs to let one tire rotate faster than the ring gear. Going around corners is when this happens in a detroit equipped rig. The tires can never go slower than the ring gear. Only faster. When a auto matic locker is locked it is basically a spool. It just has the ability to "be a open dif." under the correct situations, this is of course simplified to real basic laymans terms.

The selectable lockers are either open or a spool there is no inbetween. Much like a detriot except you have the switch that tells it when to lock and when not to.

Does that help? I just had the feeling you were confused. Maybe???

10. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

I understand how they work. I was hoping someone made a selectable locker that could be SWITCHED to be open all the time or SWITCHED to be an automatic locker (like the Detroit). I don't like the driving characterisatics of the Detroit on cury highways. I'm thinking the spool type selectable unit will be fine for the cabin road, but I'm not sure how it would work if I had to use it on snow covered highway. The Detroit works, I just have to be careful.

Eric M.

11. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I see grashooooppppper. I understand what you are after now and think it would be cool if someone made it but I don't think it is out there yet. It's a great idea.

12. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

It looks like no one makes what I'm looking for. Has anyone driven a spool (ARB locked up) on snow covered roads / highways? I read somewhere that it is more predicatable than a locker since it never "unlocks". But, is it dangerous, does it slide out more, fishtail on turns more than a locker?

Who's driven one on snow covered highways?

Thanks,

Eric M.

13. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I drove my truck with a detroit/locked arb on snowy/icy roads in the mountains and didnt seem to notice any problems, except turning on dry pavement. :blush: I personally think as long as you know HOW to drive with any common sense in snow/ice you will have no problems with a detroit/spool/locked with whatever combo.

14. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

The air locker for the 14bff just came out...................ARB 14Bff
    :D

15. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

I heard the 14 Bolt ARBs were out, but still haven't heard a price yet. I might wait a while to see if it drops .... snow is almost gone anyways :( . Anyone else have a selectable locker they want to push??

Eric M.

16. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Pricing is similar to a D60 locker, they should run $830 to $850 depending on timing, shipping to ARB, etc. With the selectable, all you get is spool or open and I haven't even heard a rumor of anything else on the market, and apparently even if something did come out the 14FF would be the last to get it anyway.
    Sounds like you either stay with the detriot or go ARB.

For snowy roads I think I'd leave it open most of the time and just lock it where you know you'd need the detroit. I've spent very little time with a spooled rear on any kind of solid surface, and most of that time was in 4wd anyway so I don't have much info for you there on how that would work out.

17. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Stephen,

Does that price include the compressor and everything else you need to get a completye set up? If not, what other parts (and prices) are required?

Do you think the ARB will come down in cost in a few months?

Thanks,

Eric M.

18. ssls6

ssls6 Registered Member

Eric,

Why do you need it to switch between floating and ratcheting? One that selects between free and fixed should work perfect for you. Run your truck in free mode until your stuck, then lock up the rearend. Your burb should work like the majority of burbs until you lock it for your 100ft cabin climb.

The ratcheting type is a comprimise to begin with because you don't have an lockup switch.

19. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

You still need a compressor that runs about $220. Don't expect the price to come down, I'm actually surpised the 14FF ARB is the same price as the D60 unit, I guessed it would be more like the D80 locker.

Past the locker and an air source, you don't need anything else to put it in.

20. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

I HAVE!!!! in my own backyard even... 14bsf in my suburban