Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is there a source for NEW wiring harnesses

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BrightBlazer, Sep 25, 2002.

1. BrightBlazer

BrightBlazer Registered Member

I would like to just replace all the wiring in my truck. Headlight harness, taillight, gauge/interior, under hood.
    Are there any sources for these. I am having some wiring problems and would like to eliminate any "extra wires" used on all the crap that was installed on my 86.

2. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

summit racing sell painless wiring harness products for most everything

3. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Or you could go direct to the company painless wiring.

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I would be cautious about using something like a "Painless Wiring" harness.....from the discussions I've read, they are somewhat "generic" application-wise, so you will probably end up with wires that don't match up with existing colors you are expecting to see, and/or you will end up with additional wires that don't get used in your application. Good for Painless....not so good for YOU!

From the people I've heard from that have actually bought Painless kits, and installed them.....they were wishing they had just bought a factory harness instead. There is NOTHING worse than chasing down electrical problems in a vehicle!!!! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The factory didn't put in "extra" wiring. Its there for a reason. It cost GM money, if it wasn't necessary, it wouldn't be there. I've wondered before exactly WHAT an aftermarket harness could cull from a stock truck harness and still have it be fully functional...lights? door switches? cigarette lighter? Gauges?

There IS a fair amount of wiring under there, but its all there for a reason, and well fused/protected, so that if you have a problem with your door jam switches, you don't blow the ign fuse or what have you : )

Seriously, a stock uncut harness from a stock truck is your best beet, or just get into yours and clean it up right. Cut out any splices, solder and shrink wrap each connection. I've done an ENTIRE fuse panel that way, but at least I know it will work right.

6. RATAH

RATAH 1/2 ton status

try www.lmctruck.com
    looks like they sell em for
    499.95 and 549.95
    damn expensive

7. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

I haven't heard anything bad about Painless. Most things I have heard about them are good. They aren't far from AGR, maybe some of their business practices rubbed off. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

8. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    There is NOTHING worse than chasing down electrical problems in a vehicle!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

AMEN BROTHER!!!!!

9. BrightBlazer

BrightBlazer Registered Member

It probably could be fixed. And for the prices I am seeing it will be. I have no guages except the temp. Wipers automatically come on when I turn key on, Backup lights are on when driving, One sides tail lights dont work except when Braking etc etc etc.
    We will see. I love this truck and am starting to get back into it. It has been down for months. I just bought an inner fender and battery tray/brace today. Doesnt look too bad to install. As long as I soak my bolts.

I use to work on this thing but after spending a year wrenching on a 94 Camaro it makes the truck seem VERY different

10. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    There is NOTHING worse than chasing down electrical problems in a vehicle!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

You Said It Best. So, the painless kit's aren't that great? I was going to Order one for my 72 but after my experience with my 91 and if the wire's won't match then I won't. They make one specificaly for the 67-72 Chevy Trucks. Is This the one you were talking about being generic?

11. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

James,

I can't remember who it was....but it was someone with a 1st Gen that bought his K5 with a partially completed "Painless Kit" installed. I think he asked a bunch of electrical questions because it was a total mess....

I think he ended up locating an OEM harness and starting over.....it was THAT bad! /forums/images/icons/blush.gif

With a factory harness, you can always use the original schematics from the Service Manual, and every other 1st Gen owner can confirm what the colors and locations are.....if you go with an aftermarket harness, you are at the mercy of the manufacturer to get help, and you'll be praying for accurate schematic drawings...... and of course, none of us will have the same wiring as you....so there won't be much support available from the other "1st Genners"......

Seems like a losing proposition to me....Restore the existing harness or get a "real" replacement. IMHO. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

12. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Thanks Greg, That saved me a world of trouble /forums/images/icons/grin.gif . I think I will be using the factory and replacing what I have to.

13. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

strange
    Painless uses all GM connectors fuse panel etc
    first bad things I have heard of as well.

14. dyeager535

http://www.painlessperformance.com/catlarge/10205.jpg is supposed to be a "specific" harness (not "universal") for a 73-87 truck.

First off, thats not a GM fuse block. It has to be either blade or glass type...73-whenever was glass, then blade late 70's as I recall. Of course this is common knowledge, but its not a factory fuse panel. Perhaps thats a 70's style bulkhead connector, but the '81 ups at least were 3 piece, and the one in their picture isn't, and doesn't look like you could use a GM engine bay connector on the Painless panel.

Also looking at that picture, if its for, say, an '85 Chev truck (of any type) all the accessory terminals are in the "wrong location", probably so they can be ganged up on other fuses, unlike the GM harness which either uses circuit breakers, or fusible links in the engine bay to provide protection/power to the accessory terminals.

15. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

looks like the connector matches my wiring diagram pretty well.
    it is a hodge podge of GM wiring style if not an exact duplication.

16. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I have seen the Painless wiring kit, they have vehicle specific kits and they have a generic kit, around $550 you would get the vehicle specific, and it is a replica of the OEM with all the options possible included.
    But to me that was too steep, so when rebuilding my 73, and not wanting to use those glass fuses anymore, I got a complete harness from a '79 at pick n pull for $30, and then I took out the harness from the Blazer and in about 10hours, made a clean harness that fits all my needs and has all the advantages.
    But I am cheap /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    IceMan

17. dyeager535

Well that shows '73-76, not '81 up, which used 3 bulkhead connectors clipped together as I recall.

I don't like Painless much, but they may have an "exact" harness thats just not shown online, but I don't like the misleading statement "73-87", as there was too much changed those years for it to be an easy, clean drop in affair for that year/vehicle spread.