Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is there a such thing as an OEM underhood light on these things?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Pugsley, Apr 4, 2002.

1. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

....and if so, anyone got one laying around they don't want? I was reading the owner's manual on the wifemobile looking for the bulb size, when I realized I've never seen one on a K5, and went out to look at the "every possible option except a 350" Blazer, and sure enough, no light. Now it's on my list of things that irritate me and must be dealt with, so if anyone knows, let me know - ya know?/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I have never seen one on a K5. My jimmy even stickered out over $24,000 in 86. My truck even had the side sliding windows like a pick-up truck(4 piece window style), and I havent seen that on any other K5, so you never know.

3. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I've got the same windows!!!/forums/images/icons/cool.gif - They were a dealer addon, Granddad paid $272.39 for them through Brown and Brown Chevrolet - including a really bad tint job.

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Check out my picks in my album. I am pretty sure those are the ones your talking about right. My truck is a Sierra Classic model with the AC, PDL, PW, CC, etc. Everything except a 350 was in my truck. Now it has the 350 and half the other crap doesn't work. Oh well.

5. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Mine has the light /forums/images/icons/smile.gif It is attached to the firewall and is a little box with the light connected to a 3 foot retractable cord.

6. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Not quite - these things are actually 2 seperate pieces of sliding glass, like the back window in a pickup. They've got really meaty aluminum frames, and never work right.

7. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hey Wayne, my blazer has the factory underhood light as well but mine has about 16 feet of retractable cord. I can real my light all the way to the back bumper and then some. My light also has a magnet on the backside so you don't have to hold it while you try to work on something.

8. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Mine didn't come with it but i took one from a 91 pick up. It the kind that you can reel it out and I can even reach all the way around the truck with it. DannyD has a 91 k5 with a factory light installed in his too.

9. Yea my 1980 K20 has one, and I was like WOW when I found it. The I tryed to hook up the wire that was just sitting there and it shorted and broke /forums/images/icons/frown.gif I have been looking for another one too. I was gonna see if the local auto parts store had one. Mine has a little tilt switch so that when you open the hood it turns on. Later

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

How can I find out how much my trucks stickered new? I have always wondered. I thought about $15k for my '84, but it's decked out big time...if your Jimmy was that much, my truck has to be a lot more than I thought.

11. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I have one of those lights too...broke the retainer off, so it moves around a little but still works...

12. NorthernRedNeck

NorthernRedNeck Registered Member

Yeah my 89 has the retactable one too...looks like this is around one of the first years they mounted them. Try 'burbs out also.

13. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

My 90 Suburban has a retractable light mounted to the firewall. It reaches all the way to the rear tires.

14. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Mine shows 21,678 as delivered, including the funky sliding windows, a LeCarra wheel, and "The Protector vehicle shield", whatever the hell that is.

15. pfloydmaster

pfloydmaster 1/2 ton status

You can find the light in the LMC truck catalog for about 20 bucks. they've got plenty of other OEM style parts too www.lmctruck.com

16. pfloydmaster

pfloydmaster 1/2 ton status

You can find the under hood light in the LMC truck catalog for about 20 bucks. they've got plenty of other OEM style parts too www.lmctruck.com