Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is there a tool for installing ball joints?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Zeus33rd, Jun 24, 2002.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Needed to replace a lower ball joint today...I used a brass punch and a hammer to get it done. There's got to be a tool or something made to do this....What is it, where can I get one, and how much do they cost? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I think Harbor Freight has a ball joint tool. I just made some fixtures at work to use in the press. It would be nice to have a compact fixture for the trail repairs. And to have it a hydraulic fixture would also be nice, alot easier to use.

3. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

4. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Does anyone have/use that model. It is much cheaper than any I have seen. I was just wondering if you get what you pay for. I stripped the threads on a cheapy I bought a few years back. There was no warranty on it, so I set it my "How the heck did I break this" pile. /forums/images/icons/ooo.gif

5. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

i got one at harbor frieght a few month ago. it's not the model shown, looks more like a regular big C-clap, not like the one shown. used it a few times with no problems. make sure you put some grease on the C-clamp thread. it'll make it a lot smoother.

ARQ.

PS: yes they are wroth the money, in my case $30.00

6. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Harbor freight rocks. I bought the larger shop press for like $89.00 and I have already gotten my money out of it pressing bearings and races, bushings and 4 ball joints...

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author