Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is there a trick to getting the snap ring out of a 14 bolt hub?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by afroman006, Feb 17, 2004.

1. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I'm rebuilding my 14 bolt and am stuck on the outer hub bearing. I cant get the snap ring holding it in out. I've managed to squeez it closed with needle nose pliers but I cant get it out of its groove, if I try to pull it the pliers slip and I usually hurt my self /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif. So, is there a special tool or trick to get this dang ring out? Thx

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I used a pair of needle nose withthe 90* bend in them. Pain in the A$$, but I got it out /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. scrappy88

scrappy88 1/2 ton status

Ohhhh that damn snap ring is such a pain. Get a pair of needle nose pliers that have a fairly long handle. I got a big nail and put it in a pair of vice grips, and after squeezing the ring with the pliers I used the end of the nail to get under the snap ring and pull it up out of the hub. Work one side and go around while pulling up. You may bend the snap ring a little (I did) but just tweak it back to shape when you get it out. It's cake putting it back in when you get there. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

2 picks work good also.

5. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I don't remember that part when i had mine apart, but is it something that actually requires "snap ring pliers?" /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Don't forget to drive the race away from the snap ring slightly or it will be much harder to remove the snap ring.

7. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

you could have the different hub nut system.... the one with a washer against the bearing, then a hub nut, then a retaining washer with little tabs on it, then a hub nut, then you bend one of the little tabs down into one of the grooves on the outer hub nut.

8. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

OK, yeah thats right, no snap rings in my setup. maybe that's why i don't remember it huh? /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

9. BAJA_BLAZER

BAJA_BLAZER 1/2 ton status Author

Actually, the snap ring he is asking about is located between the inner and outer bearings and retains the outer race in the hub. It has nothing to do with the double axle nuts and lock tab washer that are removed to get the hub off the axle housing.

I have found the best way to get them out is to squeeze the two ends together with grooved snap ring pliers or just use some long needle nose pliers to free it up as much as possible. If you are lucky this will remove it, but most likely it won’t. Now take a long drift or flat screwdriver and hammer and try to drive the snap ring around inside the groove, rotating it around in the hub. This will free it up and you can now get it out with the pliers.

10. Silver84k5

[ QUOTE ]
    Actually, the snap ring he is asking about is located between the inner and outer bearings and retains the outer race in the hub. It has nothing to do with the double axle nuts and lock tab washer that are removed to get the hub off the axle housing.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you notice who i responded too..... i was talking to 4xcrazy about his axle, because he said he cant remember a snap ring on his axle when he was inside it.

11. BAJA_BLAZER

BAJA_BLAZER 1/2 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    you could have the different hub nut system.... the one with a washer against the bearing, then a hub nut, then a retaining washer with little tabs on it, then a hub nut, then you bend one of the little tabs down into one of the grooves on the outer hub nut.

[/ QUOTE ]

No worries! My point is that it has nothing to do with the “hub nut system”. The snap ring he was asking about is in the middle of the hub and cannot even be seen until the hub is removed from the axle, the axle seal is removed and the inner bearing is removed.

12. Silver84k5

ahh ok i see where we are talkin about lol.... /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

had to re read the first post.

13. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Don't forget to drive the race away from the snap ring slightly or it will be much harder to remove the snap ring.

[/ QUOTE ]
    That's the part that makes it much easier to get that snap ring out of there! Also, be SURE that you seat the new race FIRMLY against the snap ring during reassembly. If you don't then the pressure against the bearings while driving will push the race into place and the bearings will then be very sloppy. If you don't catch it right away it can ruin the bearings, hub and spindle. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

14. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

It takes a two headed screwdriver /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

[​IMG]

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif
    Damn I been waiting months for a good what tool post /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

15. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Lol. I've tried sticking a little screwdriver in there to wedge the ring out but its really hard keeping enough pressure on the pliers and manipulating other tools at the same time. That damn little clip is strong! I've moved the race around a little bit but it very well might be wedged against the clip, I'll check tomorow. JJ, where can I get me one of them? Looks like a Craftsman to me. If you take it back will they give you two normal screwdrivers? Thx for the help.

16. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

i think the answer is just to keep fumbling it like the rest of us here! As you can see there are many ways to pluck that sucker out of there! I had my fun with and and think I had two screwdrivers and pliers to make it happen!

too much fun though. Once you get it out your home free though /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

17. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

I use a razor blade, to move it up then just follow a flat blade along the out side, works like a charm everytime I also do this to the d44 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif