Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is there a way to bench test an auto trannie

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by COCHEV, Sep 16, 2004.

1. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

Kind of a weird question, i know. i bought a rig with a trannie and no motor. the fluid looks nice a pink, but i'd like to know if its gunna run before i buy a converter and stuff my motor in there. any way to test it out first without total dissassebly, or do i just have to chance it?

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

theres no way that i know of. you need a converter and to spin it. i guess you could build a machine to do it but...

a good, easy way is to put a filter in it and see if theres alot of metal in the pan. but that usually doesn't tell EVERYTHING.

3. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

What tranny is it?

You can remove the converter and the front pump bolts.. then remove the pump... then blow regulated air (about 80-90 lbs for bench testing) through all the little holes, and if you listen closely for the thump you will hear some of the clutches or bands applying.. so really its not telling you much other than the stuff is engaging, and if you don't have a book to know which passages to air check you won't know which one isn't working when there is no clunk. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif air checking isn't really a fool proof way of testing out anything besides the apply pistons and seals.. its tough to bench test all of the many components in the auto tranny and verify that everything will work as a unit when installed. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif
    So i suppose you can air check some of those apply circuits just for chits and grins if you pull the front oil pump off, and it will give you an excuse to replace the oil pump lip seal which often leaks, and the case to pump gasket as well to ensure no leaks. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

4. k5mike

k5mike Registered Member

Yes auto trannys can be bench tested.....you just have to fine someone with the machine to do it with....I used a becnh tester when I went to a school to rebuild them for the Corps.......neat little things you could check up/down shifts......full throdle up shifts.....fluid pressures at any rpm......etc..... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

cool! i know a good trannie shop in town, i think i will ask then if they have the capability to do it. thanks,

jason

6. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

We had an engine and a dyno that we could bolt a tranny up to, to test it in the shop..
    Was this an engine or a machine they'd hook up the transmission to? /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

7. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

You need to find a transmission shop in your area with a dyno. This is how they check out the trannies without using so much labor to re-install them. Also great for tuning things, although I have no idea how much they will charge per use.