Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is there a way to fizzle your rig?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TSGB, Sep 14, 2004.

1. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Again, just idly wondering...

Is there a way to electrify your door handles, body, or your whole truck as a sort of security system?

I've heard that you can run wiring through your door handle so that when it's pulled it completes a circuit, but I've never heard of it being done.

/forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

im sure you could...but in the USA you'd be arrested, cuz yer not allowed to booby trap yer car /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif but I know in S.Africa they have all sorts of stuff like that, flame throwers that spray gel type fuel(napalm) then ignites it...also they do have High voltage door handles and all that cool type of stuff /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Let's pretend there are no anti-booby-trap laws right now... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

So let's look at what we would need to do-
    Insulate the door handles from the rest of the door until the circuit is completed?
    Add a battery for sufficient power/ separate system?
    Would any electronic components be needed?
    /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

4. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Is there a way to fizzle your rig?

[/ QUOTE ]

Fo shizzle my nizzle,,just wizzle up some elactrizzle to dat beotch!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

5. chevyjeff

chevyjeff 1/2 ton status

i have been working on a way to arm a dog shock collar or stun gun to my door handles with the alarm in the truck already. I just need to find a way to get the brain of the alarm to arm the thing .

6. rcurrier44

rcurrier44 1/2 ton status

Use an ignition coil... ever been shocked by your spark plug wires? It hurts but won't kill you. Had a buddy do it back 15 years ago who was tired of getting his car broken into. You only touch the handle once /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

The big problem I think you'd have is that you might very easily fry all the electronic in your rig with the shocker door handles.

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Between this and that last question, I'm thinking you may be in the wrong place. Contact the MI6 over in England, ask for a guy named Q, I'm sure he has the answers to your questions.

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Its unfortunatey illegal to electrify a vehicle--I'd love to hook up a stun gun or an electric fence charger to my truck,and watch the fool who tries to break into it!.The reason its illegal is because someone who has a pacemaker,or just plain heart trouble can be killed by high voltage--a GM HEI coil can kill a person with certain heart defects--hope those people dont touch any electric fences! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif .
    I got tired of vandals breaking off my antenna's on my old VW,so in a fit of anger one night I cut an old extention cord in two,stripped rthe wires bare,wrapped one wire around the new antenna,and poked the other wire into the ground attached to a short peice of copper tubing,wet the ground good with the garden hose,and plugged it in---
    about 11:30 that night I heard a loud AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!--I ran out and caught the jerk red handed--my dad called the cops,when they came--I got a bigger lecture for my booby trapped antenna than the vandal got for breaking three of them--I was pretty pissed off.One of the cops scoffed at my idea,saying it would never work,but the vandal told him it worked REAL good--then the cop,still a disbeleiver,touched it,and he got quite a belt- /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif-he made me dismantle my pride and joy,and told me I'd be arrested if I ever used it again! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

That's why you don't call the cops. That's like if someone stole your drugs if you were a drug dealer.

What are you going to say? "I had a pound of marijuana but someone stole it."

11. diesel4me

I have a newspaper clipping that has that exact senario--a guy called the cops to tell them someone broke into his apartment,damaging his door and frame,they stole cash and "the pot he deals" !!gives a whole new meaning to the word "DOPE" /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif
    I often wonder about all the "home invasions" that happen near me--you cant tell me theese people just ride around and pick out a house to kick in the door and terrorize an ordinary housewife and rob them--more like they know they are dealing dope,and need a fix and have no money,so they just barge in and take it--but you never see the word "drugs" in the headlines,just the "victims"side of the story--- /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

12. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Hmm, didn't MacGyver do that once...

13. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

But if I worked for England, would I be charged with treason???

I suppose only if they opened the door to my car to find evidence...

/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Can some peoples explain the ignition coil thing for me?

14. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

The simplest way to drive an ignition coil would be to wire the coil of relay through it's normally closed contacts. This would make the relay "buzz" and give rapid voltage changes to drive the ignition coil. The whole circuit could be energized by another relay connected to your alarm system.

You should think about the consequences, though. /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif Are you sure you will remember to deactivate your own alarm every time before you open the door? What about the friend or co-worker who tries to help you out because you left your lights on or something?

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    The simplest way to drive an ignition coil would be to wire the coil of relay through it's normally closed contacts. This would make the relay "buzz" and give rapid voltage changes to drive the ignition coil. The whole circuit could be energized by another relay connected to your alarm system.

[/ QUOTE ]

That only works with AC.

16. diesel4me

I have seen folks use an old model T ford vibrator type ignition coil to electrify a vehicle,but I never really looked to see how it was wired up--I didnt want to get too close and get zapped! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

17. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    That only works with AC.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Huh? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Maybe I didn't explain well. The ignition coil is a transformer. A changing voltage in the primary creates an output in the secondary. The changing voltage will come from the relay contacts opening and closing. The relay contacts open and close because every time they open, the circuit to the relay is broken (NC contacts). This causes the contacts to close again and the cycle goes on and on. This is a "chopped DC" drive. This is kind of how breaker points ignitions worked.