Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is there a way to limit travel on a hydraulic ram?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mikey_d05, Apr 1, 2005.

1. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm done with the rear axle swap and I'm working on the front. I'm going to crossover and once that's working I'm going to be putting in a hydro assist system. Most people use 8" stroke rams but to get the tires to turn to the steering stops (the way they're adjusted now anyways) I'd need 9" of stroke. Is there a good way to limit the travel of a 10" ram so I can adjust everything properly so it all stops at the same time? Who knows, when I get everything together I might have to adjust the steering stops anyways, but I'd just like to know if there's a good way to do this without custom ordering something.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Adjust your steering stops and use an 8". The more angle you put on the u joints the more stress you realize? They are strongest when you are steering straight ahead.

3. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yeah, I know and understand the concept behind u-joint angularity, I just don't want to get stuck with a big dumb pile that won't turn (yes, that is a technical term :D )

Edit: I'd still like more opinions though...is EVERYBODY using 8" stroke and adjusting the steering stops?

4. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The safest way to go here is to turn the wheels till the steering u-joint binds and then straighten the tires till the u-joint unbinds. Straighten the wheels just a tad more and set the steering stops there. That way you won't over steer and break u-joints. This is all done in the shop with the rig on jack stands while rotating the tire by hand. You will feel the u-joint bind up(that is bad) then back off a bit and call it good.
    Now measure the ram throw that you need maybe 8" maybe more, I don't know.
    Buy a ram with more throw than you need and take it apart to add spacers inside to limit the travel. Spacers inside os the correct way to limit the travel of a ram. You can do it with spacers on the outside but they tend to work on the endcaps of the ram and hurt the dust and oil seals.

Hope that helps.

5. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

yep. i used the 8" ram when i had my ram hooked to my standard tie rod. 8" of throw was ideal and the ram bottomed out like 1/4" before the knuckle stops bottomed out.

When i went to hi steer, I took esteban86k5's idea and made a 3" spacer out of some square stock and welded a washer to each end.. then disassembled the ram, and i installed that inside my 8" ram to limit it to 5" of travel, perfect for hi-steer.

6. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

this is what Ryan is talking about. At this point the washer hadn't been welded to the square tubing. Just make sure that it fit's tight over you shaft or it may bind up on you.
    [​IMG]

7. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

On the Burb we machined a similar 3 inch stop from 1.25 round solid and slid it over the shaft to limit our ram to 5". Just make sure whatever stop you build that it does not cover up the port opening. I wouldn't mention it unless we had a customer do it. :D

8. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

right on, theres the picture thanks to esteban.. :cool1:
    Also, my 1.5" wto rams have leaked after a month or two of running them. last time i rebuilt mine when i installed the spacer.. I bought some $0.99 orings from home depot, and ran a bead of grease around the whole oring before installing the end cap back into the ram, this way the seals won't tear or rip when installing...