Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is there a way to...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Jun 10, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I was wondering if there is a way to calculate Cubic inches, horse power, torque, compression and whatnot when building an engine? I no that desktop dyno is something like that, is there anything else, or is that it? I want something so when I pick a part I know how much of a gain/loss it will be in the HP/TQ range. Any help is goood /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Anyone know /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

desktop dyno CAN be a guideline, but the only real variables it lets you plug in are the TYPE of manifold(mind you not exact one which can make a big difference), heads(of course very important), and the camshaft profile. As far as cubic inches, check this here. And to really figure out the true compression you need to have the motor almost completely built, everything else is just an estimate since you need to measure piston height from top of deck to really figure it all out.

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Oooh Okay. So for things like HP/TQ, it's just a guess on how much the whole powerplant will make? Thanks sled_dog /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

educated guess but yeah a guess. They have been shown in tests to not be very far off but you really need to build your motor to your purpose not some horsepower dream.

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

It's not a horse power dream I have, it's purpose is for deep mud and some rocks. That's why it's not as high as I wanted it.