Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is there an easy way

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JimmyJuneau, Apr 25, 2003.

1. JimmyJuneau

JimmyJuneau 1/2 ton status

I bought all new belts for my truck since I have to replace my water pump. So I am wondering if there is any easy way to install them. Any tips or tricks? /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

In general there is never an easy way.../forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rene

3. JimmyJuneau

ok well am I missing something or do th ebelts just seem an inch short? I cant get them on.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

This should be self explanatory but each belt driven accessory is adjustable. Loosen the adjuster and the belt will come off easily. The only thing that can suck with the V-belts is that sometimes all the belts need to come off to replace one. Usually the power steering belt is like this.

Belt sizes go up in increments of one inch, if the accessory is adjusted to the smallest maximum position and the belt doesn't easily slip onto the pullies it's too short.

Proper tension on the belt is important too...with the accessory snugged up you shouldn't be able to push down on the belt more than 1/2". The place to check is the unsupported portion of the belt between the pullies. A long screwdriver strategically placed and used as a lever on the accessory will get the proper amount of tension on the belt and leave you with a free hand to tighten the adjuster bolt(s).

Be careful when adjusting the belt tension for the power steering...you should never use the resevoir housing as a pry point. The resevoir itself is fragile.

As with any job, no matter how trivial, there is no easy way to do the job correctly. There is always more to it than you think. It'll always take longer than you think, and if you do it right it'll last longer than you think.

That's enough rambling for me (kinda sleep deprived.../forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif)

Hope that's the info you were looking for.

Rene

5. JimmyJuneau

Well I knew all of that already maybe the parts stores gave me the wrong belt then cause all of the pulleys are loosened from the brackt that move back and forth to adjust for the belt and it still wont slip on to all of them. Oh well Ill deal with it tommorow.

6. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

HAHAHAH SERPENTINE BABY!!!!!!! i got one belt and it takes 5 minuites to change!!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif