Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is there any harm?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kim tate, Mar 4, 2000.

1. kim tate

kim tate 1/2 ton status

I need to move the K5 out of the garage and then back in the garage this weekend. The only exhaust components on it are the manifolds and "Y" pipe. Will this cause any harm to the valves. I understand this is a no-no for motorcycles.

2. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

3. kim tate

kim tate 1/2 ton status

Thanks Gold Rush

I needed some reassurance. I only need to power it up to put it back in the garage because of the steep grade of the driveway. My son and I would not be able to push it in.

4. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    Re: Thanks Gold Rush

Sounds like a darn good reason to go out and get your self a winch and dual batts!

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=blue>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

5. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I ran my Blazer for about a month with only manifolds and the Y-pipe. I even did a 100mile round trip to see drag races. Fortunately there are no sound level laws around here... anyway what's my little Blazer's sound compared to drag-racers?![​IMG]

Well, I have no valve problems or anything weird in my engine, so I guess moving it a few inches won't do any harm(except your ears).

<font color=purple>////////
    Go 79s!!!
    </font color=purple>[​IMG]

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Yeah as long as you have exhaust manifolds on it you should be fine. don't rev it up just enough power to do the job. Hope you on good terms with the neighbors LOL. Before you fire it up make sure that there is nothing that may get burned by the exhaust. keep a extingusher handy if it has under coating or a build up of grease in that area! You may even want to take a couple of peices of metal an make a deflector to make sure the fire is dirrected down and away from the fuel and brake lines that are in the passenger side frame. Wouldn't require any thing fancy just something you can attach to the flange bolts the will sheild the top and sides. Should be able to make it out of a coffee can.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper

7. Zack

Zack 1/2 ton status

Well when i got my body on so-so I started the engine that had been sitting a long time.. I only had one manifold .. It was loud as hell.. but it was kinda cool though. It didn' run right and i thought I cracked a valve.. It was kinda cold when I ran it. So I yanked the engine and rebuilt it.. Don't know if it was a cracked valve but I did get a new engine outta it!

$900 later
    still not driveable
    Zack

No I am still not done with my frame up resto!! Soon i swear!

8. kim tate

kim tate 1/2 ton status

Done!

OK, I got the truck out and back in the garage. The neighbor is trying to sell her house and I didn't realize she had a potential buyer and the realtor over when I fired it up to put it back in the garage!! I felt compelled to introduce myself and swear this cacaphony doesn't go on all the time!! Thanks to all.

9. Matt N.

Matt N. Registered Member

Re: Old Wives tale

According to Smokey Yunick, the "valves will warp w/ no manifolds" is an old wives tale. It wouldn't run worth a crap, but it wouldn't do any harm.

10. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

sounds like its a dead issue by now, but when my ninja was running shorties, i stuffed a sock in the end of the pipe when i shut 'er off. it was enough to allow a slow cool down (i believe valves crack because they cool down so fast with no pipe length).

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>