Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

is there any way to tighten the turning radius?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by xnoahx, Aug 17, 2002.

1. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

Ok, i know these trucks are not nimble but i was wondering if there are any adjustments that I can make that will tighten my turning radius. Im getting sick of making three point turns in intersections instead of U turns /forums/images/icons/blush.gif

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

4 wheel steering or run narrow rims with as much backspace as you can...

Rene

3. Boscolingus

Boscolingus 1/2 ton status

custom lengthened pitman arm on the steering box - would net fewer turns of the wheel at a tighter turning radius, however I would truley hate to see the cost of casting such a part, not to mention the increased leverage from the part would end with hideous results to the frame where the steering box mounts - your weekend "fix-it" plates and gussets would be breakfast to something like this - instead you would have to box the frame.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The turning radius is limited by the tires hitting the springs or other parts of the truck. The taller the tires, the less turning radius that is available. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif You can adjust the steering stops so that the tires turn as far as possible without making contact, but keep in mind that those relationships will change when the suspension is flexed.

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

twin stick np205... an open front (or selectable locker that is off!) and hydro boost steering. Crank her all the way to one side, hit the ebrake in the rear, go front wheel drive with the 205 and "pivot". /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

J

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Line lock up front engaged...light up the spooled rear and pivot around the front wheels/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif/forums/images/icons/confused.gif/forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Rene

7. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

You can adjust thge steering stops, but make sure they are still the limiting factor in the steering, as opposed to the steering box. If you do this, the tires might rub when turned and flexed out though.

8. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

skinny tires.
    my turning radius is amazing with the XLs after running 16" wide swamps

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Funny My K5's have a tighter turning radius than MOST other vehicles on the road including my old 92 Nissan truck. You want some pain in the butt trunning radius go drive a Toyota mini truck. Good god you need a foot ball feild to turn one of those.

I would not mess with the stops on the axle. they are there for a reason. the prevent you from binding the ears on the U-Joint in the axle. If you have something like a Detroit in the back that is part of your problem, WIde tires are the other. My 75 with 35 inch tires on 10 inch rim. and a detroit makes a huge difference over my wifes stock 79 with LS and 31's on stock rims. The detroit adds about 10 ft of radius. My 75 turned just as well as hers did when it had 32's and was open. When it's wet I just get it turning stab the brakes then floor it to get the rear end to come around. That usualy gets me down to about 2 lanes. Don't have enough motor to do that on dry pavement. The rears will hook up and push the fronts sideways.

10. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

The moment you start turning tighter off road you will start blowing up front axle steering U-joints. This puts an amazing amount of stress on them. Its fine if you are not locked in, but once you lock the hubs and apply torque they will have a much shorter life span.

11. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I don't think there are any trucks with a tighter turning radius than a K5, except for 4 wheel steering. This is where the short wheel base shines.

12. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

My K5 has a tighter turning radius than my D/A does....I can't for the life of me pull that thing into a parking spot, unless it's two wide, and two long...... Walmart sucks with that truck...now the K5, I can pull that in with no problems.

Brandy

13. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    light up the spooled rear and pivot around the front wheels

[/ QUOTE ]
    I like it, good advice /forums/images/icons/grin.gif thats how I would do it /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif