Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is there anyone out there that has made thier own driveline ebrake?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 55Willy, Apr 25, 2003.

1. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I'm kicking around the idea of making my own but have some hurdles.....

Who makes a small aftermarket cable actuated caliper and what rotor is used?

-Jeremy

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

No driveline brake but i got a Custom Wedge of Wood, that i just throw under the tire when i park on steep terrain. i can make you one if you want.

3. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

1 FN HI K5 has one, its a stainless steel disc and a porsche 944(?) caliper.

4. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

A company in phx, will sell ya parts to do it if ya can, I believe their name is pto or some thing, I can try to look into it for ya, my buddy is a heavy eqipment mecanic and was talkin about just that. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

A friend and I were talkin about that. I refuse to pay some guy big $$ for a kit that I can scrounge parts for and make myself for really cheap. The rotor is easy. All ya really need is a round piece of aluminum or steel. Attaching it to the driveshaft doesnt look too tough. We were planning on drilling it and cutting it so we could put it between the u-joint straps and the yoke. You would need longer bolts, and some fancy cutting to make it fit without interfering with the u-joint, but its not impossible. As for the caliper, we havent found a good one yet, but they say a quad or snowmobile brake would do the trick. Its mechanical, and all you need to do is lock it to the 'on' position to keep it engaged. The mount for the caliper would be a matter of some fabbing to get a bracket off the t-case rear cover. Ours is still in the paper design stages, but I dont see that its that hard.
    Like I said, I refuse to pay for some guy to make me a kit. Same goes for rear discs, twin sticks, zero rates, snorkels, bumpers, half doors, etc etc etc. I dont begrudge the guys that do it, but I hope they dont look for any $$ from me! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mike

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author