Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

is there ANYTHING on this k5 that hasn't been touched???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by solowookie, Dec 21, 2001.

1. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

is there ANYTHING on this k5 that hasn\'t been touched???

well let me tell ya, there are so few parts on this k5 that I have not had to tear apart & fix correctly [​IMG] it is mind boggling! [​IMG] to fix the interior lights I had to fix 5 different points between the light switch & the lights, and string new wire in 2 different sections! [​IMG] [​IMG] I love my k5, but this is getting a little maddening! [​IMG]

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

2. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Re: is there ANYTHING on this k5 that hasn\'t been touched???

LOL - too funny. All too true for mine also...........the factory service manuals are kinda useless to me anymore.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Hey at least when YOU fix it, you know it was done right, not half a$$ like most previous owners apparently. I've been in the same boat, poorly spliced ignition wires, wires that lead to nowhere, all fun stuff : )

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

4. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Same hear, and thats what makes this site so cool, you know someone out there knows how to do it right.Dorian, alone has helped me atleast ten times...[​IMG]

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

5. solowookie

well in a year or two (if I can coax everything along until then) I want to get a kit from painless wiring and just redo all the wiring. it is amazing the amount of stuff that was screwed up on this, and I can't think of one part (besides the starter) that hasn't been replaces, or repaired etc.

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

6. dyeager535

When I re-did my wiring (diesel harness in the body that hacked by the 'yard when I got the truck) I just found one out of a suitable vintage truck, and swapped it. Of course, it was much easier when the body was off the frame and there was no interior in it, but regardless, I never could quite understand the Painless harness, its not like GM put extra wires in there you can get rid of. Of course if my understanding of Painless harnesses is wrong, then ok, but my understanding is that they claim to simplify the harnesses.

As many variations as these trucks had in wiring, for the gauge cluster alone, I can't imagine a "painless" harness could easily be swapped in. Not really a slam on Painless, its just for $50 you can probably go get a nice factory harness from the 'yard, with the right length and color coded wires that can be referenced in the service manual for future troubleshooting and projects. I've yet to see unmolested factory GM wiring cause problems, even on vehicles from the '60's. Normal corroded grounding points excluded : ) I can certainly understand wanting something that should give you no problems, but even new parts can be defective.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>

7. solowookie

have you used a painless wiring kit??? you've touched on a few points that I wasn't aware of (haven't heard a ton on them, but my assumption was that these duplicated the factory wiring with color &amp; everything??? - also would think they are extra long to accomodate several different applications?)

8. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

not always true Dyeager,
    atleast when you fix it you know you did it right, OR you know HOW you DiCkEd it up.
    Grant

1974 Chevy Blazer Cheyanne. but it is on 33's now, with saggy old springs. i am in Yuma Arizona if ya got any parts for me.

9. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

When I got my truck- the interior had been stripped out- ( i have it all but it was in boxes etc.) and ALL of the screws/bolts/nuts were in QUICK chocolate milk cans-- try going through 500 screws before you figure out whats what-- on top of that, because the carpet was gone, and the floor fixed, all the speaker wires, light wires etc.. were just hanging out from under the dash- I didn't have a CLUE where to begin.. I spent many hours with my head under there trying to figure out what was what- I still can't get my interior light to come on when you turn the switch- only when you open the door- and only the drivers door- not the passenger-
    I FEEL YOUR PAIN MAN!

--Brandy

LOVING the new Duramax!!!

10. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

The joys of owning a previously owned vehical [​IMG]. You'll get it all sorted out. I had a dually that was real bad though once. Everything on that truck had been jerry rigged. I had it for about a year then sold it.

<font color=blue>What part of my brilliance do you not understand?</font color=blue>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.bluefox.tv/~lara>My Wonderful Site</a>

11. solowookie

Brandy...

I got it figured you how you can test why that is happening, and give you help on fixing it (that was one of the MANY problems I had with getting the interior lights to work).

send me a PM if you need more assistance...

12. solowookie

well I got a new engine etc. in this thing, and the ONLY thing that I haven't gone through mechanically or electrical is the wiring so I'll hang in here on this one... (and when I say everything, I mean EVERYTHING... [​IMG])

13. dyeager535

Never used one, but was contemplating it when I was restoring another vehicle. I just find that no matter how true to factory aftermarket parts are, there is almost ALWAYS something not quite right with them.

Like you mentioned on length, well, a 3+3 isn't going to use the same harness as a K5, so why would you want to deal with a harness that has either more or less stuff than you need, and the incorreect length. Of course if they make one specifically for the Blazer, it would be a bit different. All I know is, before anyone messes with them, the factory harnesses are excellent.

Dorian

14. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

hehe, i still havent been able to figure out my interior lights, sometimes they come on, sometimes they dont. but it seems like when i dont expect them to come on they do, and when i need them on they don't.
    the guy before me messed up a lot of the wiring, when i bought it there were all kinds of harness connectors hanging out in the open, i figured out what most of them were supposed to do, but theres still a few that boggle me. hey at least it runs, so i cant complain.

15. ymatt

ymatt Registered Member

Oh man, tell me about it! I planned on just fixing the transmission and doing a little welding when I bought mine. Turns out I've done and spent A LOT more than I bargained for, but at least now I know everything's done and done right.

You would not believe some of the spectacularly spasticated things that previous owners have done. The truck had also been very badly neglected, with not even simple maintenance having been carried out.

The amazing thing is that here in the UK, American cars and trucks are enthusiast vehicles, and very special, so it makes you wonder what kind of [censored](s) would treat it like this.

16. solowookie

just kinda wondering... I learned a LOOONG time ago to value your opions (happened about the time your expert advice came along on rebuilding 700r4 - I'm still gonna do that sometime, I have a core sitting there just waiting [​IMG]), and I was just wondering why you felt that way...

there is absolutely no doubt that I am going to have to buy a wiring harness for my 50 chevy pickup when I do it so I'm going to have to think about how I approach that project.