Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is there fluid transfer between a 700r4 and a 241?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mr.smartass, Jan 15, 2007.

1. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

What the title says. Does fluid move between the two? Because my transfercase was filled past the fill plug even with a leaky rear output shaft seal, and my transmission is low. I mean I guess it does I just had no idea...

The seal is brand new so I got a Repair Sleeve from National can't remember the part # but it was about 40 bucks for a thin metal ring and an installer cup, how does this thing go on? thanks.

2. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Every time I have pulled a 241 off of a 700, there has been fluid in between them. For the trans fluid to get into the Tcase the trans would have to be about a gallon overfilled and the rear seal of the trans and the front seal of the tcase would have to be almost non-existant.
    IMO There is just too much open area in between for one to transfer fluid to the other.

3. mr.smartass

I just had the tranny rebuilt and all the seals are fine, but a bunch of fluid came out the top plug and it's been leaking for a while. There's a big spot in my shop and in the drive way, from the leak. :dunno:

4. mr.smartass

Bump for the ones who just got off work, any thoughts? It's just that it would be impossible for me to even fill the TC with that much fluid... :confused:

5. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

I believe there is a small hole in the rear housing of the tranny to allow the governer to be lubricated. It will leak with the transfer case removed, so it does contain a small amount of fluid. But the fluid should not (and I believe could not) force itself into the transfer case. The only thoughs I have on the fact that yours is leaking and still above the fill plug is at one point it was not on level ground. Either when it was filled or when it was checked. Just an observation...

6. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

the input seal on the tcase is bad. replace it and your tcase will stay the correct level (IE not over full)

the governor on the tranny sprays atf all over the rear of the tranny case and adapter. there is a little drain back valve at the front bottom center of this cavity. there will always be fluid there. over filling the tranny will not cause any more fluid in the tcase, unless the seal is bad.the seal on the input of the tcase is what keeps the two seperate.

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Yup xfercase input seal is bad. Fluid comes out of the governor leaks past the input seal. Causing the Tranny to loose fluid and xfer case to be over full.

8. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

So it's most likely caused by the transfer case seal?
    I have a 205 behind a th350 that is WAY over full and has an ATF/gear oil mixture in it.

9. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

In your case it is prolly the adaptor seals that are leaking. You should get that fixed asap. If gear oil finds its way into the auto tranny it will destroy it.
    Besure to change/flush your trans fluid

10. mr.smartass

Yeah luckily both mine run on good ole dexron III. I definately got an eye full of it when I pulled that plug. So I just gotta pull the TC and replace the input seal? Pretty simple job right? That's alright that way I can do that repair sleeve at the same time, any tips on these two jobs? Oh yeah I love you guys. :bow: