Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is there something to stop my rust?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by divorced, Feb 7, 2007.

1. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I saw a k5 once that had a small rust spot on it, and the guy had something that he applied to the rust spot to keep it from spreading. It looked like something clear that was painted/smeared onto the rust and it appeared to work real well because it hadn't gotten any worse since he applied the stuff.

I can't remember what the stuff was called, anyone have any ideas?

2. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

I have used por 15 with good results, I have heard the rust bullet is good but haven't used it myself.

3. mogulmasher

mogulmasher Registered Member

I too have used por-15 with decent results. Defintiely will buy you some time.

I am however very curious about rust bullet, starting to hear a lot about it?? Anyone chime in that has used it?

4. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

If you have a small spot, you can use Nsval Jelly. Its pink, kinda like a thick pepto bismol. You put it on the spot and let it sit then wash it off with water. Leaves bare metal.

5. johnnychimpo

johnnychimpo 1/2 ton status

Rust Bullet? Yep, I wire brushed the frame of my K20 last spring from the back of the cab to the end of the frame rails. My frame had scale starting to build up and I knocked what I could off w/ the drill & wire brush. Two coats of RB & two coats of satin black spraypaint & almost good as new. It has'nt been that long since I applied it but It aint coming off. RB requires one coat to penetrate the rust and another to seal the first, it goes on and dries a gray color but paint is optional. Will do the rest of the frame this spring when I swap my new cab on it.

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

It was likely..

"Duro Extend" made by Permatex,or similar stuff like "Neutra-Rust" by Rustoleum goes on milky like latex,then turns the rust black,and dries clear..

My van looked like a leapord when I bought it,it had several "scabby" spots that bubbled up under the paint,and the former owner touched up those spots with the Duro "Extend" rust converter stuff --it does work,those spots never did get any worse..you dont have to topcoat it if you dont want to either..

I like POR-15 myself,but its costly, and kind of hard to get locally..you can buy "rust converter" stuff at most stores, or places that sell auto paint and body supplies ..one good one I used was "Rust-Mort" by Morton Products..

R-M brand paint sells similar stuff in spray bottles,so do other companies--most of them are oxacylic acid or phosphoric acid based..these products need to be painted over after using...:crazy:

7. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Sorry guys, I forgot to mention the type of rust I'm working with. Underneath my recently purchased car I noticed where someone must have used a jack or jack stands on the floorboard to lift/support the car and it bent/damaged the metal there and apparently made it easier for this metal to start rusting. The rust is kida flakey, similar to how a rocker panel will rust out. I plan to remove most of the bad metal and then coat it real good with something to prevent it from rusting anymore. Whatever I use would have to be resistant to chips since it's going to be used under the car.

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

undercoat..

I'd use something like the Duro Extend or Rust Reformer stuff to "kill" the rust and turn it black--then cover it over with rubberized undercoating or paint, like rustoleum or POR-15...(I don't reccomend using rubberized undercoat on large areas under a vehicle--it can peel away and let condensation form,and it'll rust worse,an you wont even see it...it's ok for "patchwork" though)..

Stuff like Naval Jelly,Rust-Mort,and the other spray on "rust removers" just help remove rust,they dont "convert" the rust like the other stuff does,and will allow it to return quickly if not topcoated...:crazy: