Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is there something you can put in gas to make an engine blow up?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ihatefords, Mar 6, 2006.

1. ihatefords

ihatefords Registered Member

I have recentlyt had two of my perfect running vehicles blow their engines! The first was my camaro and it had just got new tires and the oil changed. The oil was changed without my consent an PENZOIL was put into the engin with a WIX filter. These two brands are ones that i would never consider putting on my engine. Then the second incident was with my 86' K10. The motor has less than 8,000 miles since me and my dad rebuilt it. It started out in his stock car that he raced at a local track(shut down now). But the deal is that both of these vehicles were running fine until I left them somewhere. In the time that i left them unattended could some jackass add something to my gas,oil, or anywhere to make the engine blow up within 12 hours??

2. MOBK5

MOBK5 1/2 ton status

Ive heard mothballs can do that. Turns gas into a type of jetfuel.

3. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

depends on what you mean by "blow up"... what kinda failure?

Mythbusters just did that episode and ran sugar, etc thru motors... don't think they found anything that would make em "blow up"

plenty of things can be added to oil to fubar a motor...

btw, Wix is a damn good filter...

4. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Agreed, WIX is a good filter.

No idea on what happened to your motor though

5. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Wix x3, one of the best filter brands out there.

6. ihatefords

ihatefords Registered Member

Well my mototr was built with hyperutectic pistons and it is bored 80 over. I have heard people tell horror stories of hyperutectic pistons in the winter but as for the camaro the motor was completely stock. Both of them sou nd like they have broken the crank or busted a rod, but i have yet to rip them a part to find out.

7. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

.080 over?!

Holy cow! No wonder that engine blew up! Most guys don't feel that good going .060 over!

I'd tend to say that chances are your problems are probally coincidence, but if you are concerned about it, get a hood latch that must be opened from inside, and a locking gas cap, lol

8. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

x4 on the wix filters. Thats the only filter I run in mine and probably the best on the market. .080 over may be your problem on one of the engines. That leaves the cylinder walls really thin and can cause some problems. Sounds like the motors just went bad to me.
    -Harrison

9. moturbopar

moturbopar 1/2 ton status

If its a big block .80 over isnt a big deal. Hows the oil look in the engines?

10. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If you put drain the oil and put bleach in it then you will definately blow up the engine for sure. Oh, and drain the coolant, and run an octane that is much less what is rated for your engine, then try to do a brake stand at full throttle for as long as the engine runs.

That is just one way to blow your engine in an hour.

But a better way is to put a supercharger on it and then you can call it blown:haha:

11. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

valve grinding compound in the crankcase is prolly the sneakiest.. just squirt some out of the tube into the oil fill... breaks down in the oil and wipes the bearings out...

12. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

if you

13. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

if you add sugar to the gas, it will go, with the thin cylinder walls for shure.

14. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

not in the gas...

I think the quickest way to blow a motor is to add something nasty to the crankcase,not the gas.."Mythbusters" only "plausible" thing added to a gas tank was bleach,that could possibly harm the engine(it made a rusted mess of the gas tank overnight!)...but sugar,paint thiner,draino,and moth balls didn't seem to harm their SBC "test"motor much..

I know if you put super high octane fuel in a motor it can burn valves and melt pistons..one guy I know ran 110 octane aviation fuel in his 400 Pontiac,and it burnt the exhaust valves in a few days of highway driving..

I know of a disgruntled employee at one dealership nearby, that was ticked off about not getting a raise as did his fellow workers..he retaliated by adding a cup full of the metal filings from the brake rotor lathe in the shops service truck...it ran about 20 minutes,and by then,it had NO rod bearings,rings,or pistons in it..seized tighter than a bulls butt in fly season!..they could not even turn it over with a breaker bar to get the torque converter bolts off!..had to pull the tranny with it!..a 2004 Ford,brand new truck with 10,000 miles on it too...:eek1: ...

BTW,a WIX filter is the best there is,or at least ONE of the best..had you said FRAM,I'd agree it might have been the filters that helped cause the meltdown..I have read bad things about Penzoil,but also know guys who won't run anything BUT Penzoil,and have never had any engine failures..boring your motor .080 over was not the best thing to do by any means..I'd lean more toward someone BEATING ON your motors while you were thinking they were safely stored,and doubt it was anything to do with the gas..

15. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

from personal experience id have to disagree. i dated a girl that didnt like some dude and she dumped sugar in the brand new truck he got. couple days later the motor blew. he got another and she did it again and it blew again. needless to say i didnt talk to her much after that since she was so interested in this guy...

16. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Twice! wow, that is some crazy b!tch! I hope warrenty covered it, twice. LOL:haha: :haha: :haha:

17. BadBob

BadBob 1/2 ton status

The higher the octane rating, the cooler and slower burn you get. It probably had more to do with the additives (or complete lack thereof) in AV gas.

18. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

wix = grear stuff

and ..80 is big wow.

i heard penzoil is wax based oil. yucky.