Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is there such a thing as a roller cam that will fit early GM smallblocks?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by LittlePig, Dec 10, 2002.

1. LittlePig

LittlePig 1/2 ton status

Wondering if there is a way to retrofit a roller cam to an early smallblock, or would I have to have a Vortec block. I ask because I want if at all possible to minimize friction in the block, and the valvetrain is the main source. The eventual plan is to build a 383, and I want a nice, high-lift, short-duration cam, and I worry about the lifters coming up the sides of the lobes and digging in rather than traveling over the lobe. Or am I worrying needlessly?

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Check Comp Cams or Crane cams, they have roller everything that could fit any block, no prejudice here.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

There are dozens of aftermarket roller lifter/cam set-ups available for the SB Chevy motor. Do you really need one? Probably not, but check the stuff that Comp and Crane have available and talk to their tech people once you have decided what kind of motor you want to build, and what you will really use it for.

4. 74beater

74beater 1/2 ton status

hyd or solid...hyd for street app...solid for the dragstrip..i would suggest a hyd roller,also check with manf. for pushrods because of the taller lifters...

74 jimmy
    carb vortec headed
    350-203-44-12
    35mt
    about to hack the fenders for 38's /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif
    with 4' lift

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If the manufacturers make the cam you want in a flattappet style, go with it. They won't make it if the thing is going to fail inshort order.

As to the roller stuff, either go with an entire new GM block that is set up for them, or you'll be paying about $500 just for a retrofit roller hydraulic cam/lifters. Nice to reduce the friction, but a lot of the gains come from the steeper angles they can run on the cam lobes due to the rollers.

6. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

Like the others said, there are several diffenent manufacturers that make the parts you would need for the conversion, but it aint cheap. When I built the motor for my 2wd truck ('72 model 400 small block) I wanted it to be all roller, it has a hyd roller cam, roller lifters, roller rocker arms, and a roller timing chain. And also as previously stated you will probably need a new set of pushrods because the roller setup will need a different legnth. You don't have to worry about the lifters traveling, they have a roller on the bottom of them where they meet the cam. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif