Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

is there such a thing?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Thumper, Aug 8, 2003.

1. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

I have heard there is a spacer available for a D60 carrier to run lower gears than 4:10 in the 4:10 carrier.
    My question is : is there such a spacer available for a 14FF? Reason being is that I have a 14FF with 4:10s, I have to go 4:56 to match the front before I swap it in, and I have access to a sweet deal on a set of 4:56 gears, but they are the thin style. I cant find a 4:56+ carrier, and cant find any 4:56 thick gears for sale used. So... looking at options right now. I dont really have the $$ to buy a new set of thick gears right now but really want the 14B in the truck!
    Thanks.
    Mike

2. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

A machine shop could make you one pretty cheap. Just make sure they grind it to a uniform thickness. The actual thickness doesn't matter too much as long as it gets you in the range so that the backlash can be set with the adjusters in the housing.

3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Yes.
    It's commonly called a ring gear spacer.
    You are correct with 4.56's you would need a "thick" ring gear or a spacer. Since you already have the thin ring gear you need the spacer. The other thing you "might" need is longer bolts. I have used thick gears before but never a spacer so I do not know if you will need new/longer ring gear bolts.
    I'm sure somebody like Randy's ring and pinion would have what you are looking for and/or know if you need longer hardware.

4. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Is there any ill effects to using a spacer? Besides the obvious longer bolts mean more shear stress issue... and is it really an issue when there are 14 grade 8 bolts holding it together? Do you have any idea what thickness spacer I would be looking at? Not too much I dont imagine.
    I will try to call around and see what I can find, unless someone knows where there is one /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thanks
    Mike

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

There are only 12 ring gear bolts on the C14...

Anyways, I don't see a problem with running a spacer as long as everything is torqued correctly. How thick could it be?

Call Randy's...they have a really good tech dept.

Rene

6. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Just buy a "thick" ring gear and be done with it. That is what I did. I have had zero problems with mine. I would be nervous if I had a spacer. The ring gear fits really tight to the carrier "lip" to keep things alined. You would have to have the same lip machined into the spacer. No thanks!!
    It would probably cost more than the diffrence in price between the two ring gear styles.

7. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Yes, custom work is very expensive!

8. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Really? Hmm I never counted mine, but I was sure I read somewhere that there was 14 bolts... cause they said you couldnt be sure it was a 14bolt just by the cover bolts. *shrug* Beats me... anyways, I am going to check into them. Im sure if they make a spacer for sale, it will have all the necessary lips and ridges. I will let you all know how it turns out!

Thanks
    Mike

9. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Well, update.
    Apparently, there is no such thing as a spacer ring for it. According to Randys at least. So I am screwed till I win a freakin lotto. The shop in Edmonton wants 470.00 for the thick gear set. Not likely.
    BTW, not impressed with Randys Ring and Pinion. If I wanted to be talked down to like I was an idiot, I woulda called my ex-wife... if I had one...
    Besides the fact that they wont ship to Canada.
    Oh well, guess I am waiting.
    Thanks for the help.
    Mike

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Wow...I guess we didn't talk to the same guy then. Sorry to hear that.

Maybe put up a wanted ad for the right carrier? Someone has to have one somewhere.

Rene

11. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

when i called randys for a thick gear for a dana 44 it was only 200 dollars.i dont see that a 14 bolt would be much more than that.

12. TWISTEDJACK

I got mine from Summit racing. 1800-230-3030 I think that it ran me 280-290 delivered to my door /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. TWISTEDJACK

I take that back I paid only 231.00 shipped to my door, I check my invoice today! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Instead of looking for the thick ring gear, look for the proper carrier. You should be able to find one pretty cheap (comparatively).

15. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Really? Hmm I never counted mine, but I was sure I read somewhere that there was 14 bolts... cause they said you couldnt be sure it was a 14bolt just by the cover bolts. *shrug* Beats me... anyways, I am going to check into them. Im sure if they make a spacer for sale, it will have all the necessary lips and ridges. I will let you all know how it turns out!

Thanks
    Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

I read the same thing in an article in one of the four wheel mag's. It was all about ID-ing axles and it listed a bunch of axles from strongest to weakest. Was years ago tho'. But I do remember reading that... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif