Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is There Such a Thing?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jimmyjack, Jan 6, 2001.

1. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Whenever I'm at a serious downhill angle my oil pressure drops to zero or near to it. Does anyone make a baffle, or shield to hold the oil back near the pump? I've seen oil scrapers, are these kind of the same thing? This is scaring me.

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim

2. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    A scraper is more for high rpm use where you dont want the centrifigal (sp) weight of the oil on the crank. More rotating mass=less hp. Have you verified the pressure with another gauge/ mech gauge. If you have a GM pan it should have some baffles in it. If not you can buy them through summit (the ones that bolt to the mains)

3. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Summit sounds like it has what I'm looking for. No, I havent used another guage. The only time it happens is when I'm on a verrrry steep downhill angle. I havent heard any knocking or anything when this happens and it's not like I'm stomping on the gas pedal either. I'd rather spend a few bucks and an afternoon installing this thing than burn a bearing. Thanks a bunch.

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim

4. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

well they do make oil pans with baffles in them but they can get very expensive...also you may want to get a pan with a deeper oil sump in it and get a longer pick-up tube...the deeper sump will allow more oil to stay near the pick-up tube and keep pressure up while the baffles will hold it there...
    make sure you get a pan with the baffles going the right way!!!!! some pans are made for racing and the baffles help to slow down the oil so it does not hit the back of the pan and splash up on the crank.. just make sure of which one you get...

ANYBODY LOSE THEIR JEEP????????[​IMG]
    I JUST FOUND ONE UNDER MY BLAZER!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]