Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is there such thing as an electric ps pump?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by PetaKane, Sep 3, 2002.

1. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

I saw something mentioned about one back on a Hydro steering post. I know it's not the best idea, but is there such a thing?

2. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

technically yes there are electrical ps pumps...
    are they ones that will fit or easily be swapped into your truck? none that i've seen....

the only electric ps pumps i've ever seen were on hybrid electric vehicles, they need to be electric if the vehicle is programmed to shut down the engine when idle for more than 15 seconds to save gas....and then use fully electric launch when you hit the pedal...

but i actually tried to find one for a 2000 suburban hybrid project....came up with the conclusion that the easiest way to do it was to find the specs on the stock pump, and just buy an industrial pump that was similiar...

but unless you have more than one or two batteries in your truck it wouldnt be feasible...
    it would definately give you a little more power to the wheels, but there are many better ways to get the same results

3. tipoil

tipoil 1/2 ton status

yes there is!!!

they have them on subaru (dont know the model but the sport one kinka boxy mid 80 maybe) it look like a electric pump for a snow plow (the car was a v6)

hope it helped