Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is this a bad idea?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TX Mudder, Jan 25, 2001.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Ok, I was putting on my add-a-leaves on the rear today and got to thinking. I had the factory overload leaf from my old 76 lying around, so I test-fit it on the trucjk when I put the add-a-leafs on. It looked strange having TWO overloads, but it jacked it up another inch or so. I took it out, but it still had me thinking this would not be a bad idea. The 2nd overload would never compress - only the 1st one would, so it would be like the ORD zero-rate blocks. Anyone?
    -- Mike

2. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

It will make the ride stiff has hell and give you fits if you hit a wash board road or these segmented concrete highways. Like hanging on to a bucking bronco (not the Ph**d type). My nickel.

3. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Sounds to me like you'd be asking for broken springs. I don't know though, but it just sounds like would make them too stiff for something as light as a K5.

4. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

How about putting the second overload upside down so that it doesn't make the ride stiff, but adds height.

[​IMG]

5. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

To me, this seems like a decent idea, especially if you can get a set real cheap. To make it look better, just cut off all but the portion that sids and the spring pad, get a long center bolt and skip the ORD 1" add-a-block.

As for making the ride super stiff: How can it do this if even the first overload isn't touching the spring pack? If you're driving around with the leafs on the overloads, you're in for a bad ride whether you have 1 or 16 overloads in your packs.

<font color=blue>Boulder Sunday Camera:"How we feel about ourselves is the core of self-esteem"</font color=blue>

6. FWP

FWP CRS

Goose hit the nail on the head. Wouldn't hurt a bit.

[​IMG]

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I have done it. doesn't hurt a thing and has not hurt flex one bit. Dep gave me the idea but he cut it down on his so they are more of a block. If you look there is a slight curve to the over load. You want the curve down like a frown on the bottom one and the top one like it is in the pack. Under full stuff the overloads have about 3/8's gap at the ends. I think it will help control wrap. I ramps a 762 on a true 25 deg ramp. My limiting factors are the front not the rear.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/>http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/</A>

8. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the replies, I'm glad I'm not crazy for thinking this.
    Grim, you currently are running two overloads? Does it look strange to you?
    I'd go ahead and put them on, but my ubolts will be just SLIGHTLY too short if I did. But if/when I do the shackle slip, they would be plently too long and I could just cut them down 3" instead of all 4.
    Again, not like looks are everything, but does it not look right?
    -- Mike