Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is this a Carb Problem?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dendeanda, May 8, 2005.

1. dendeanda

dendeanda Registered Member

I have an '85 350 Blazer. Its a great work vehicle, to and from work. But the reason I bought it was to go off-roading. The only problem is that when I have fun in 4x4, it starts to crap out on me. It doesn't get hot, it sounds like it floods or something and then it won't start for a while. When it does start, it will turn off when I try to give it some gas, but will also idle kinda funny. It gets VERY tempermental. So when I let it "rest" over night, it's fine the next day! By the way, I have a q-jet in there right now with an electric choke.

1. You think my carb is getting clogged with gunk because of the high RPMs in 4x4?

2. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

Hey your from courpus, Im from Victoria, about an hour from there.
    Are you runnin at an angle a lot, some q-jets dont like it. It might be gettin clogged up, you might change your fuel filter.
    These other folks probably have some better answers that I do, just tryin to help since I'm the 1st to post up.

Dustin.

Oh by the way where do you wheel at around here?

3. dendeanda

yeah, im from corpus. How'd you know? Anyway, I romp in the dunes out here on Padre Island, so yeah, im at am angle alot. For mudding, we go near the Oso Bay.

4. hunterguy86

lol top right corner shows location.

Hows the padre wheelin? I've never run it. I have run Port Aransas several times though but its no problem at all. It can be somewhat difficult if they havent maintained the beech though.

5. dendeanda

lol, sorry. Im new to this site. Anyway, took it out last night to this place called seapines. Anyway, lots of sand trails and steep dunes with VERY soft sand. We all got stuck plenty of times. When I did get stuck, the truck wouldnt start for a while. Then I let it sit. when it did start, it was running crappy. So I left it at the beach last night and picked it up this morning and started with ease. I just dont get it!

6. leadvillek5

leadvillek5 Registered Member

sounds like a possible distributor model

7. TucsonK5

TucsonK5 1/2 ton status

Doesn't really sound like a clogged filter to me. My clogged filter issues never seemed to fix themselves, I always had to clean things out before it would run again. It seems more of an off angle flooding type thing.

8. hunterguy86

Now that I think about it, this may be right

9. dendeanda

So if I were to get a rebuilt q-jet, would this problem this be there. Or is it gonna be there with any carb?

10. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

If you're having problems from running at extreme angles, then that will be there with most carbs. Q-jets are supposed to be fairly decent about it as far as stock carbs go though. Holley does make a carb designed for extreme angles and offroading, its called the Truck Avenger and that's what I'm running.