Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is this a good Alternator?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Boss, Jul 18, 2001.

1. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

What do you guys think of this Alternator? Atleast the specs on it. I already bought one (haven't recieved yet), but just want yalls opinion on it. Specs are here:
    <a target="_blank" href=http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=593307028>http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=593307028</a>
    Thanks
    Boss

89' 1 TON of FUN K5

2. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

If it's a Delco re-wound to 200 amps, yeah, I'd say it's good, but why would a standard delco housing require a longer bolt than the identically housed unit it's replacing? That would be my question for seller. Final cost of $175 (IF noone else bids) seems pretty good. The best I recall seeing has been 150-180 amps for around $200, so I guess it's not a bad deal...
    Heck it might be worth it for the warranty.

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    **K5 - What more is there to life?**<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by newyorkin on 07/18/01 08:58 AM.</FONT></P>

3. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I am here in the Dallas area and bought one of these not too long ago. The "seller" is a shop locally. I went and talked with the guys and picked one up at their counter. I have been very pleased. I got a 180A black powder coated unit for $130 or so. It looks and is working great. I highly recommend them. If you need anything or questions asked, just give them a call. They really know their stuff. Alternators, batteries, starters, that's all they do. And they do it all themselves.

Brian

85 GMC Jimmy <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com</a>

4. Boss

Hey, thanks for the info!
    Tex85, do you know why I would need a longer bolt? I mean, did they change the housing some when they wounded it up 200 amps? I saw the 180 amp one you got for 73' to 87 Chevys. I needed the 200 amp one b/c it's for my 89'.

Reason I ask, is, b/c I remember reading somewhere, that wounding an alternator to make it produce more amps is a bad thing b/c it will overheat quickly and die really soon.

I'm getting ready to do the dual battery setup b/c I'm putting the Warn HS9500i on soon. I need an alt that can handle the candle if you know what I mean. Those other alts are wayy too expensive for my taste. 140 amp alternators cost like $150. 240amp ones I've seen were like $300something!!! [​IMG]
    Boss

89' 1 TON of FUN K5

5. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I know that on my year model, the 180A was the biggest output I could go in the stock casing. Going to 200A for me meant a different casing. I didn't want to do that because I wanted a simple bolt-in. I may put on a winch someday, but I was just trying to support my A/C and my 6-100W and 2-130W forward facing lights.

Don't expect these to last forever, but they will last quite a while. They use a new bridge. From what I was told by them, it is much more durable than the old days and lasts longer with the new windings.

I don't know on your bolt unless they had to change your casing as well. Only mods I had to make was to cut the old alternator lead, put on a new alternator-starter cable to support the amperage, and customize the old bracket a little for clearance for the new plug.

BTW, I am also getting ready to do dual batteries. I have been researching the WranglerNW product versus the Hellroaring. I have decided to go with the Hellroaring and will be getting one next month. What are you going with?

Brian

P.S. If you want to call these guys and ask a question, their number is 214-330-5900. I think they may also have an 800# posted on ebay. Ask for Pat. He is probably the most knowledgeable one there.

85 GMC Jimmy <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com</a>

6. Boss

Thanks tx85!

Exactly, I went with the 200amp, b/c that's all they offer in the 88' to 95 Chevys. (which is fine by me). I want this to be a simple bolt on affair as well. From my understanding, all I have to do is get a longer bolt and a 4 guage wire. No biggie. I don't expect any alternator to last forever. I just want them to last a good while...atleast like the stock alternators...they last atleast 10years [​IMG] That would be wayy cool if this would last the same. but if it only last for 2 years or so, then $170 for it wouldn't necessarily be a good deal.

Anyhow, I'm also going with Hellroaring. I will be getting their Iso/Combo. I've heard nothing but good things from their product and service, so that's who I will be going with. I'll be getting it next month when funds come in. Thanks again.
    Boss

89' 1 TON of FUN K5