Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is this a good buy?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jc71355, Nov 19, 2002.

1. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

I found a set of 33x12.5 locally second hand but brand new for $450. They aren't the new KM style though. When did they stop making the old style and switch? The guy said he bought them for his heep but never put them on. I'm worried about them sitting too long. Any opinions?

TIA
    James

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

As long as they are not dry rotted you should not have any problems with them.

3. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Do you think he's asking too much?

4. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I'd offer 375-400 while going no higher than 400. Just my opinion though. Its a decent deal at 450, but for 50 or so more you can have brand new tires from a reputable shop.

My .02,
    John /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Just keep in mind that if you buy tires that are discontinued or the treads are no longer made, you will have trouble finding another one when one tire blows out. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I learned this from a set of tires I got in trade for some bald tires I had.
    The tires I got were almost brand new and one was blown out. I tried the local tire shops and COOP to see if anybody could find a new one. Nope. Tire name, tread, etc. were discontinued. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

To make a long story short, I still have the 3 tires here at home, in my garage. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I did find out that another tire manufacturer makes the exact same tread as the tires I have. Just a different name on the sidewall. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

It may be easier and wiser to pass and spend the extra dough on some newer tires that way you will get a warranty on them. Buying tires from an individual voids all warranties, regardless if they are brand spanking new or not. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif