Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is this a good deal?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by colbystephens, Oct 23, 2005.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

14b ff, 4.10 gears, spider gears welded, disc brakes. $385

Dana 44, open, same gear ratio. $190.

Those prices seem a little steep, particularly for the d44. But then I've never seen what a decent price would be for an already discbrake converted 14bff.

was thinking that if this is a decent price, i'd offer $500? what do you think?.

Colby Stephens

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Depending on your needs. How big of tire will you run on those axles ?? It's only 4.10 gears. The Disc breaks on that 14 bolt is attractive.

3. colbystephens

i'll be running 35's. i know 4.10 ratio is about as high as i can go w/ those tires.

4. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

IMO its kinda high but depends on what kinda of resources you have for parts like that there. A 14FF can be had pretty easy and disk brakes aren't too hard to put on yourself. I think I have seen brackets going for $55 or so. I have bought complete 3/4 ton trucks for $500 with lots of good parts.

5. colbystephens

i've found that chevy parts are a bit more expensive in the NW. i think it's more ford territory here. anyway, what would you offer, then? maybe i should drop my offer to $450?

6. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Start low and do some barganing. If they are rarer there then start at say $400 and see what he said and see if you can work a deal. If they need any parts such as bearings and seals then maybe you can talk down easier too cause it is pretty easy to drop a 500 dollar bill on little parts that add up fast.

7. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

What kind of shape is the dana44 in? good brakes, ball-joints, u-joints, and etc. I'm on the search soon for some 3/4ton axles and I know thats a big one for me, I dont want to have to put anymore in them once I get them on.

8. colbystephens

well, i got ahold of that dude and it turns out that his ad was rather misleading. his 44 didn't match his 14b and had only 3.08 gears. seems this is common when i contact people about running gear. they say one thing and either have no freakin idea what they are talking about or are just trying to get interest and then try sell the crap they actually have even tho you know they are trying to screw you over. anyway, thanks for the help guys. my search is still on for a 14bff and dana 44 with 4.10 or lower gears in the portland or if it must be, the NW area.

colby stephens.

9. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

damn man... You should be able to find a 14ff for no more then 150 bucks...

got mine for free... I saw a truck that had been sitting for a few years never moved.. I asked the guy.. he said get it outa here and i wont charge you anything

got a running 350, a 14bolt. 2wd th400...

keep your eyes peeled.. drive through the country once in awhile

Have you looked in the truck trader, in the parts section in the back?