Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is this a good deal?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by firefighter184, Oct 16, 2006.

1. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

Have a friend, girl I went to highschool with. She's selling a 94 Burb, 3/4 ton with the 454 (I think). It's got 67K original miles, and is pretty clean. The 4WD wont engage (not too worried, I figure it's probably the vacuum disconnect, or a t-case (I can get a 241 for pretty cheap) issue. The A/C pump is bad too. Other than those two things, it's pretty good. She want's $5500 for it.

I want this Burb because I am starting my own business doing crime scene clean-up. I can haul my gear around in the back, and tow a flatbed or stakebed trailer to haul any debris or stuff to the disposal site. Might also be a decent towrig for the K5 in a pinch:wink1:

Thoughts? Advice?

2. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I think beg Bo or Brigham to look at it with you. I'm not 100% that truck would have the 241. Wouldn't it be a 231? :dunno:

3. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Great advice since John doesn't know the difference between a 2 door and a 4 door :D

IIRC, it should be a 241C electronic version. I might be wrong, but I highly doubt it:laugh:

All in all, decent vehicle. Also talk w/ Tedesco as he has a nice 3/4 ton Burb w/ the 454. As for price, I think it's a little high with those problems. Maybe $4500-$5000, but I'm not the one buying or looking at it. Shop around via the web for good running comparables. Then, subtract the price of parts done by shop, not what you (or Bo :D )could do it for. Just my $0.02, which, will really get you nuthin.

Good luck John.

4. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

Is it a good deal I would have to say No. I think with the problems that you know about you have approx 400.00 in repair work. Now there is the question about is there other work that is needed also they are famous for ft end needing repair work like tie rod and pitman arm there is approx 200.00 for that work. Now dont get me wrong Suburbans are great for the family and keeping gear dry in bad weather. I would offer around 3500 to 4200 at max.
    Now remember with gas prices they take a while to sell and your offer will look even better to them.

5. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Try to get her down on the price, that may or may not be a problem considering you have some history.

6. fred2mihi

fred2mihi 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Do you go garage saleing and buy lots of other peoples junk? Save your money and find something that will be dependable from the beginning. No sense in being broke down on The Valley Highway and everyone flipping you off as they go by.

fred2mihi

7. 85-m1028

85-m1028 1/2 ton status

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure that out, "Bring in the rocket scientist" , That is good deal!!!:haha:

I love mitsubishi comercials some time! the fuel injected 454 does get the best milage of the big blocks out there!!

8. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

The TC would be a 241. The 4x4 not engaging is the electric actuator, depending on how you fix it, $50-200. The A/C pump is going to run $200-400 with labor assuming that's all that's wrong, could just be the clutch, or could be more involved. With the 454 you'll get the FF rear. In all, a solid truck. With that mileage, assuming it's in good shape, that's a deal. Those front ends are solid, IFS gets a bad wrap, but the 3/4 stuff is pretty stout. I've had a 3/4 with 180K on it, still ran good. Trans will be a 4L80e. The TBI is pretty reliable, particularly in the later years. Lots of mods for it, with the Edelbrock stuff (headers, cam, intake) and good exhaust it will pull a house down. Lots of TBI BBC tech on the 454ss.com site. Don't expect much above 12MPG, less if towing. You're probably going to want the 4.10's if you're towing, but if it has 3.73's, don't go above a 265/75 tire and you'll be fine. Plus, It'll ride like a caddy. Even with the SBC, a solid truck. You'll be hard pressed to find another with that low of mileage. The 3/4's are hard to find that haven't been beat. I'd be on that thing like a hobo on a ham sandwich.

9. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys, anybody else?