Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is this a good deal??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Brent96Z28, Aug 16, 2001.

1. Brent96Z28

Brent96Z28 Registered Member

I found this in the local (GA) auto trader, and I'm wondering if I should go for it or not. I typed the ad below.

1989 Blazer. V8, auto, pw, pdl, good cond., tilt, am/fm/cass, cloth int., ac, ps, pb, 6" lift, new 35" TSL SX Swampers, 12" Barts, new carpet, new headliner, new dual exhuast, $6500 obo.

I this a good deal or not? I haven't seen the truck yet, but from the picture it looks to be in good shape. What should I look for if I go look at it?? Oh yeah, call me ignorant, but what are 12" Barts?? Thanks.

2. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a decent to high side deal and barts are wheels ... i think they have beadlocks on them. And look for rust, thats the biggy !

Paul a.k.a. Paulie a.k.a. Juan Valdez, take your pick ! [​IMG]

3. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a pretty good deal - look for rust like Paulie said, and also look for cracks in the frame behind the steering box.

Barts are the rims - big, tough steel rims. Also referred to as "monster wheels" or "super truckers"

Dos mas Tecates!!!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

4. Chaz316

Chaz316 1/2 ton status

Barts are 1-piece chrome mods. Good wheels but some are weak around the lugs.

An 89 for 6500 is a pretty good deal. Offer 5. If they really want to sell it thats probably what they would take for it. I had an 87 I bought in 94 and I paid 6 for it then, and it was in excellent shape. Check the lift and make sure it was done right. Alot of people will buy a truck and want the big truck look and take short cuts to get it. Check the brake lines, steering angles and when you drive it, test that when you are sitting still and the truck is running that when you do a complete cycle of the steering that one side of the truck doesnt raise up, thats a sign of incorrect steering geometry.

Make sure the tires arent "may-pops" casuse if they are there is another sizeable sum of money that will be needed. And if you go with narrower tires (36-12.50) instead of those fat 35s you are going to need new wheels.

Make sure to ask why they are selling it. You will probably hear "It gets bad gas mileage" . Make sure to check the oil (and oil stick for that matter) for any moisture or milkiness. Check the tranny fluid too make sure its not badly burnt, or too fresh, both could be a sign of a 700R4 on its last leg.

Rust is another consideration but nothing feels worse than buying a truck and 2 days later the tranny starts spewing fluid out.

"If it aint broke don't fix it" is like a 4 letter word.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.phatboy.alloffroad.com>PhatBoy.AllOffRoad.com </a>

5. Brent96Z28

Brent96Z28 Registered Member

Thanks a lot for the great info guys. Hopefully I can look at the truck this weekend and see what kind of shape it's in.