Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is this a good deal?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mountainexplorer, Feb 22, 2002.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I can get a 1981 Suburban 3/4 ton 4x4 for $1000. It is missing motor, tranny and T-case. It has an 8" suspension lift (front springs, rear blocks, u-bolts and shocks-no steering corrections), 10 bolt front, 14 bolt SF rear (4.10s), Cargo doors, all good tinted glass, fair blue seats, good front fenders (no hood), 4 headlight front, tilt column, straight doors. The Tub itself has some rust. On it now are some no good 16" tires on plain white spokes, but I am also getting a set of 17"/40"-16.5 Ground Hawgs with 50% or better tread (not on rims) with it. Think it's worth the thousand?

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

not in my opinion but thats just me

wheeling pics

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

If you can get it for like $600 cash it might be worth it. Without the motor/tranny and case you don't have much there. You just have to price the stuff that is good and what you really want. an 8" lift would need a crossover set up to be most effective. just add what you need to make it complete and see if that is worth it also... I paid $800 for a 78 burb, it was a complete running rig( which turned out to be a 305, but thats a seperate post,LOL) I canibalize(sp?) every part rig I get, before I toss it I strip off every nut, bolt, wire and bulb. Are you looking to fix it and keep it or sell it off as parts?..anyhoo.. to make this short i don't think the price is fair for what it is,LOL

<hr></blockquote>
    What do you mean, Where did I get it??...I <font color=blue>BUILT</font color=blue> the damn thing!!

4. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

Hey Allan, You spell your first name THE RIGHT WAY. Just like me. That doesn't sound like a very good deal to me, but Suburbans are a dime a dozen in Arizona. If it had a Dana 60 front and a 14 bolt FF then maybe. Shop around and be patient. If you save your money while you wait for the right deal to come along you'll have more to invest in your new rig. For the amount of money it will cost to replace the missing parts you could buy a running rig that you could drive home. Just recently made a decision to wait for the right deal and I'm glad I did.
    Allan aka Greenblazer-AZ

If you knew the truth, you too would be against marijuana prohibition!
    Blue '74Blazer Topless W/ 35 BFG Muds1" Body Lift W/ Energy Susp. Bushings

5. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I agree, that as a whole rig, $1000 is a bit high. I can get running 4x4's here for around $400-$500 (mostly stock). I got my Truck-Blazer w/lift and running for $600 (just needed a clutch disc). The main thing I was looking at on this Sub was the 8" lift and the 40" tires, since I can't find any used lifts (over 4") or large tires here where I live. I have some friends willing to go in on the Suburban with me, and it would come out so that I'd be into the 8" lift, 40" tires, and 2 cargo doors for $425. He wanted $250 for the lift and $400 for the tires separately. I'm not sure what the best route would be. Probably to just buy the whole thing.