Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is this a good deal?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Shaggy, Aug 15, 2002.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Pair of '76 Caddy Eldo rear calipers for my disc conversion. Used from a wrecker for $100 a pair. Good deal or should I pass? They cost $110 at the Auto Parts store and the core charge is $40 apiece, so worst case I'm out $40 if they're toast and I have to trade them for the core charge. </font color>

2. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Re: Quick! Is this a good deal?

Personally, I wouldnt mess with old used brake parts. If you have to have the e-brake, Id just buy them new. Unless you can get them rebuilt cheap. I just ditched the e-brake, and am looking into a pinion brake.(pretty simple setup)

3. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Scott (4X4HIGH) got some from the Newark Pick-N-Pull for about $50. If it were me I would just get new ones. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Yeah, my gut says go new, but I'm just trying to save some bucks. Oh well, I guess I'll just bite the bullet and get new ones. I would go with the pinion mounted brake also, but I'd need to convert to a CV shaft in the rear ($300) get a shaft made with it ($50), then buy the kit from High Angle ($269). That's over $600 right there, and I got better things to spend that money on right now. Thanks for the input. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif </font color>

5. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

How about offering the yard $80/pair and then if you have any problem with them they are good for cores and you break even with buying the rebuilt ones as a worst case.

6. Mike.S

Mike.S Registered Member

Help me out here Shaggy, haven't been around much so tell me what your working on now-a-days ? Is the brake swap for that gray beast you've had posted on the "other" site ? /forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Well, it's more of a multicolored brown/flat black/red oxide primer/rust/mud color, but yeah, same truck. In the process of a 1 ton axle swap. Front will be D60 with ARB, 5.13s, 35 spline outers, Crossover steering and a Rockram if money allows. Rear will be 14b FF, welded with 5.13s and Caddy discs. Rockstomper beadlocks with my 38s for now, next set of tires will be 42s. ETA for this stage is December. Also working on a York onboard air system and a custom bumper, should be done with that around the same time, without it my ARB will be pretty useless. Full interior cage and rocksliders are in the planning stages and will hopefully be done by late Winter or early Spring. Some other odds and ends too, but it's a pretty long list. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif </font color>

8. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

The pinion brake I saw bolted onto the axle itself. No need to modify the driveshaft. Ill have to look up the info again.

9. BigBadCad

BigBadCad 1/2 ton status

keep looking for a better deal...I paid $20 for mine at the pick and pull, turned them in and bought new calipers from Checker for $76per.

10. Mike.S

Mike.S Registered Member

Sounds like a good list Shaggy, I've got a list like that too but my production line doesn't run that fast. Hell, I finally got my hands on a Dana44 and 14b FF back in Feb. but still waiting on the time and mostly funds just to do the swap. If you don't mind, keep me posted on the "on board air" project. After my axle swap (June 2008) my next project will be the "air". I am one up on it though, I have a air tank I got from work that holds 150lbs. Its a reserve tank for a petrolium tanker trailer. I should have the "air" installed by 2012 when my 4th child graduates high school. I haven't figured in college thou. I am building some heavy duty bed rails thou that isn't costing me anything and I'll have them done by next week. At least I'm doing something. Later Shaggy, /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

11. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Well since you aren't using that tank you can send it along to me and I'll make sure that it works for ya. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif I can't find a big truck wrecking yard around here to get one at and I don't want to pay out the wazoo for a new one. Anyone else have a good tank that you want to sell that will work for OBA? </font color>

12. Mike.S

Mike.S Registered Member

I might be able to help you out here Shaggy. A friend of mine (tonystoys.com) has a 4x shop and a few of the same tanks that I have. I'll bet he'd let one go for just a few bucks. I'll be talking to him in the next few days and I'll see what I can do. If your interested ? Later.

13. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Definately interested. Let's discuss via PM so we don't tie up the board. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif If you could let me know the dimensions are on it if it isn't too much trouble, and also how many ports there are on it and what size they are... Thanks bud, hopefully shipping isn't a deal breaker! </font color>

14. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Shaggy I'll try and get over to my friends yard this week. Also have you checked Speciality Truck on Industrail off of Gish they're a big rig wrecking yard in San Jose. Take a magnet and a tape measure with you. Remember some Peterbuilt air tanks are aluminum.