Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is this a good deal?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by RLBstein, Jan 29, 2003.

1. RLBstein

RLBstein 1/2 ton status

I am in the process of buying a Banks Turbo from someone and he is selling it for $300 dollars. No pics, just him telling me it came from a 6.2L that cracked because of no antifreeze and he put in a gasser instead of replacing his diesel. He says it has everything needed to bolt right on, is there anything I should find out before I jump on this deal?

2. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

If you dont let me know!!! That is a great deal if it works!

3. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Ask him if the impeller in the turbo has any/much end play on it. It should have little to none. Too much and the turbo cartidge needs to be rebuilt (or replaced). Turbo City can hook you up. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. 4xfreak

4xfreak Registered Member

Sure it sounds like an awesome deal now but be sure to get a list of what is supposed to come with the turbo to make it work, ie the list of components depending on the manufacturer you should be able to get them readilly online or from a dealer. If he/she blew up the motor make sure the oil line is still good, high temps will kill a turbo unit if not oiled properly. And as with anything that is said to be bolt on, be wearry, I have never had anything bolt on exactly how a manufacturer has specified. If all is a go on this turbo, I would definitely nab it. Good LUCK /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. RLBstein

RLBstein 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys for the input. The owner hasn't emailed me back in a while so I don't know whats going on. Which is all good right now, cause I did taxes last week and OMG do I have to pay out the nose. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif