Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is this a good idea?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by BillyBob, Mar 4, 2001.

1. BillyBob

BillyBob 1/2 ton status

I got a pair of Pioneer 10" subs and tried them in my truck without any boxes. Just by themselves, they sound great. However, they could use some boxes. I was wondering, would it be okay if I could mount them in a box that I would custom make to mold into the rear wheel wells.Then I could have them facing the front of the truck instead of eachother all the way in the back. I haven't taken any measurements yet, but I could probably make the front of the box a bit bigger, then make it mold into the well. I know it's kinda confusing to visualize what I'm talking about, so I made a pic. I hope it clears things up.
    [​IMG]
    Is this a good idea?

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://billybob.coloradok5.com>http://billybob.coloradok5.com</A>
    If it ain't leaking oil, it ain't my truck![​IMG]

2. Chewy

Chewy 1/2 ton status

The concept is a great idea but I think the reality of it wouldn't be. First of all, you need to know what the necessary box size is for those speakers. It may be too big to fit where you want it. Second, to get the best sound out of the speakers, they actually need to be facing towards the rear of the truck. That way the sound "bounces" off the back window and comes back forward. I'm not really sure why this is, but its true. Third, unless you plan on actually mounting the boxes to the wheel well some how, they might be too light to take the abuse of 4 wheelin', and maybe fly up and hit you in the head. A single box concept would be heavier and perhaps more stable. Also this way you could remove them temporarily if you needed to. If you decide to point them towards the back, build a box that is angled up at the rear glass. Now that I think about it, maybe your idea, just on the back of the wheel well, but then you have the problem of the spare tire in the way. However you decide to do it, I hope it works out for you.

[​IMG] '87 Beast
    Colorado, USA

3. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

4. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

The reason you need it facing back is because the longer a bass wave travels and the more surfaces it comes off of the more intensity it gains and the deeper it drops. One good idea is to mold fiberglass boxes to conform the the back of the seat. Angle and everything. Or if you only have some 8s or 10s, you could make where the rear step up in front of the seat is the edge of the box. There are lots of custom ideas man. You could also consult a custom shop on what they would recommend.

Later

Have you driven OVER a Ford lately?

5. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Been there, done that. If you want it to sound right, t's way more complicated than that. First of all, it's much easier with a 8" sub due to the reduced airspace , but since you already have the 10", you'll need about .8 cu ft of airspace inside the box (check in the manual) for it to sound right, and the box you're showing has about .6 cu ft. if you use 3/4" MDF as I did.

I already built mine with a 10", and the only way it could fit was with the sub facing the other wall. Then you'll have to add some more airspace with an extra compartment on top of your current box design, behind the wall panel. This additional "box" has to be even longer than the bottom box, since the space behind the wall panel is very small.

I tested mine, and it sounds VERY loud. I'm very happy with it, even though it was a LOT of hard work. I'll get a few pics in a few days.

<font color=blue>//////
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://blazer79.coloradok5.com>http://blazer79.coloradok5.com</A>
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]