Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

is this a good ignition

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Scuba Steve, Jul 24, 2003.

1. Scuba Steve

Scuba Steve Registered Member

I am thinking about getting the Crane HI-6R ignition ($250 at summit) for my truck. Might go with the HI-6TRC since it is only $60 more. Has anyone had any problems with this ignition or sugest a better one. My truck is stock but i might be beefingit up later on.

2. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

I don't know the answer to your question, but I LOVE your name!! I'm assuming you got it from Big Daddy.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If your HEI works, there is really no reason to change. I know people will say they love their aftermarket stuff, etc., and I say that I know people running 6000RPM+ on stock HEI, and that I get 18MPG in my truck with it when the conditions are right, and 10-13 in the city. It also starts up with no problems in the morning, even with fouled plugs from the oil the old engine burns. Idle is as smooth as it can be for an engine that beat up.

I'd take my money and spend it on something you will notice all the time while you are driving, like a cam or headers.

Just my opinions, but even if the high $$ ignition stuff CAN make it start and idle slightly better, would you rather have that, or better performance?

BTW, is that '86 CCC or not? If it's got a computer controlled distributor, you get to replace that and the carb when you change ignition. Don't believe there is an aftermarket one out there that will work with the CCC system.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

That's why all I'm buying is a revlimiter, which you can put on your truck WITHOUT an expensive ignition box. About $95 and it's all I need.

5. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Yea,what Dorian said /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

HEI is great.And if ya do need parts,just about EVERY parts store has parts for them /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I had a Jacobs "Ultra Team" on my truck until a few weeks ago. I have the "Energy Team" ignition box, "Ultra coil" and the inside the cab timing adjuster with rev limiter. It all worked okay, but I got paranoid about all the wires running around.

I think it probably did start a little easier and stuff like that, but it's not like night and day or anything.

In any case, if anyone is interested, I'll sell the stuff for a song.

7. BowtieGuy3

BowtieGuy3 Guest

I have a MSD 6 series on the Big Blue Bomber and the J**p, and I love them. I've pretty much used them on any ign. upgrade I've ever done. I do know, chances are if you've heard of the company making the ign. stuff, it's gonna be pretty damn good. Just comes down to price, availability, and personal pref.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Dorian,
    I say this all the time. The trucks never came with CCC. Only the cars. The only electronic engine controls before TBI in '87 were the ignition module and the ESC.

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Dorian,
    I say this all the time. The trucks never came with CCC.

[/ QUOTE ]

So stop saying it, and you will be correct!
    Copy and paste this:
    http://dyeager535.topcities.com/TablePics/E4MED.jpg

Now, I can ASSURE you, that was scanned by me, out of exactly the same '85-86 truck parts manual that all my other scans were. ( http://dyeager535.topcities.com/partsmanual.html )

Second, if you would like pictures of one of these carbs actually installed on a 1981-1986 C/K pickup, I can also provide you with those. Think I still have them anyways...

I can probably also go home and check out my '86 truck service manual, and it will also reference the CCC Q-jet as installed in these trucks. Just because you've never seen it, doesn't mean it didn't exist. I thought the same until I got all my manuals, and the first thermo mix control only carb I have EVER seen on a truck turned up only 2 months ago at a local wrecking yard. I'd like to see you explain that one off, since it too is clearly detailed in the '85-86 parts manual, and is not only "ignition module and the ESC."

Somewhere (probably the '86 service manual) I've seen it stated "CA only models", so that explains the relative rarity of this system on the '81+ trucks. Probably also only installed on 1/2 ton CA trucks, so even less common.

10. Scuba Steve

Scuba Steve Registered Member

Cool I think that I will keep what I have and replace the cap and rotor.

11. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

i have the pertronix kit installed in my hei...its a module,coil,cap,rotor, pretty much everything to upgrade the hei..i noticed easier starting,better mileage and more power...and its only 119buks from summit....and it does work well to 7200rpms....(have the kit in my racecar also)

12. ford_assassin

ford_assassin 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    If it's got a computer controlled distributor, you get to replace that and the carb when you change ignition. Don't believe there is an aftermarket one out there that will work with the CCC system.

[/ QUOTE ]

My Crane HI-6 ignition works just fine with my '86 Blazer's CCC stuff. I just bought the adapter kit so everything just plugs in without ANY cutting or splicing.

[ QUOTE ]
    That's why all I'm buying is a revlimiter, which you can put on your truck WITHOUT an expensive ignition box. About $95 and it's all I need.

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep an eye on Ebay, I bought my BRAND NEW, NEVER USED Crane HI-6 ignition in the box for $100 to my door. Oh, it has a built-in rev limiter that adjusts with a screwdriver instead of MSD's pills.

[ QUOTE ]

I say this all the time. The trucks never came with CCC. Only the cars. The only electronic engine controls before TBI in '87 were the ignition module and the ESC.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can tell you from PERSONAL experence with my '86 K5 that is totally WRONG. My STOCK Blazer has both the CCC Q-jet and dist. Before anyone says it was modified to be CCC, ask yourself why someone would intentionly add that crap to their rig? I would also be happy to take a picture.

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You dug up an awful old thread.

Either way, most people already know that CA emissions trucks came with CCC in the later years.

14. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Dorian,

[/ QUOTE ]

My cali 85' had CCC and if I remember correctly... back in like 2001 when I first joined and asked about my CCC system, Dorian was suprised I had it and said he thought it only came in cars. Maybe I was the first one with a CCC truck that Dorian heard about first hand?:) Maybe not though /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

15. ford_assassin

ford_assassin 1/2 ton status