Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is this a good price for a K5 - 1985

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by spikedmelon, Jul 6, 2006.

1. spikedmelon

spikedmelon Registered Member

Sorry for the stupid question, but I am a little green when it comes to pricing these types of vehicles. I am looking at buying a 1985 Chevrolet K5 Blazer that the owner is asking $4600.00 for. Here are some of the details. It has a GM Performance crate 350 motor (around 20,000 miles on it), a rebuilt turbo 700R4 rebuilt transmission, new frontend, rebuilt rearend, new Flowmaster exhaust, near new interior, good paint (one little rust spot about the size of a quarter above the driver door) and new suspension. It is midnight blue with blue interior too.

Is this too much for this type and condition of vehicle? Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

The new guy.

2. TDAWG1

TDAWG1 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I know where an 84 k5 is sitting in Oklahoma for $1500.00 runs good. It is in Forgan OK. Well actually its in Beaver OK, My brother is in Forgan.

3. Quackaddict

Quackaddict 1/2 ton status

I know where one is in Texas for $650 j/k........$4600 sounds a little high to be honest. He has done some work to it but none of it sounds real new you could buy a much newer model for that price.

4. spikedmelon

That's kind of what I thought. I have always owned the 81-87 Chevy SWB pickups and I know those are pretty steap in price if they are in pretty good condition.

5. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Have him prove the work with receipts. If he can, its a good deal.

On another note, I swear every rebuilt/new motor I have ever run across has about 20,000 miles on them... Coincidence, I think not. :D

6. spikedmelon

Yeah, I already asked for the reciepts and he had every single reciept for everything he has ever done to in the glovebox. My mechanic has it right now looking it over and so far everything checks out. Just like any older vehicle it blue books for less than the asking price (which I would expect to see for some types of vehicles) and I was just wandering if this was one of those vehicles.

7. pin_it_to_win_it

pin_it_to_win_it Registered Member

where im at in central california they usualy go for 2,000-4,000 and every once in a while some guy who thinks he gots somthin special wants 8,000 or more... i traded a '98 yamaha grizzley 600 for a '85 blazer that just needed a motor.:D lol i still aint got a motor and iv had it for a full week...:doah:

8. obijuan

obijuan 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i bought mine in south texas for 4000 and it had a 6 inch lift new 35 bfg, 12month/12000 mile warranty on the 700tranny and decent paint and interior.all i had to do to it was new shocks steering box and rear main seal and now its my dd is that too high??

9. pin_it_to_win_it

pin_it_to_win_it Registered Member

it all depends on what they are going for in your area. but where i am that sounds about right.

10. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I concur! Be sure the receipts match your mechanic will know what to look for. I bought a 1987 with 92,000 miles on it only minor rust with all receipts out of North Dakota for $1,375.00 I am third owner the first was a nice government agency all documented. It depends on how you feel about it and how bad you want the truck. Be sure to check under the carpet/ rubber mat in the rear area. As anyone here knows the usual places we rust. If not sure where to look ask!

FWIW they sell on eBay between $1,200 and $6,000 for an 1987 in VGC (higer price is like new)