Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is this a good price for springs and labor?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by newyorkin, May 6, 2003.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

A little over $400.

They'll install new replacement rear springs, a little beefier than my existing springs. Not lifted, I'll leave my lift blocks in for now.

Right now I have some decent sag, a broken leaf or two, and the right side through-the-frame shock mount broke loose.

What do new springs cost on average? Is it worth paying someone to do it and getting replacement stock-hieght springs, or should I get lifted springs and do the job myself? I have all the tools for it, but not really the time to spend on frozen bolts...

Property taxes are due soon, too, so it may not matter how good the price is after all...

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Tuff Country from ORD Personally I'd get the lift springs and do the install myself. It's not hard to do at all.

3. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I would agree with getting the lift springs now and doing it yourself.

4. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

I just did all 4 springs with greasable bushings and shocks...think I spent aroung 900. I've got the rear done it only took 8 hours /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif It would have gone faster but I spent 3 hours loosening the nuts and bolts, Then rene told me to get a cut-off wheel for my di-grinder and it zipped right along at 10 minutes a bolt. Maybe a torch would have gone quicker /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif This weekend its the fronts...someone please tell me those are easier /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Was it a PITA ...yes. Was it worth it..Yes. Now I can put a Built not Bought sticker on it /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i agree... get some springs and do it yourself. You'll save a lot of $$$ and you'll actually learn something about your rig in the process.

j

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Well, I have everything I need to do this job myself, except time. If I get hung up on a frozen bolt (like when I originally tried to do them last year) for too long, I can't leave it for another weekend, cause it might end up sitting for weeks that way... I suppose I could get new bolts and cut out the old ones...

Looking at finances right now, though, it's not gonna happen for a while, whether I do the work or someone else does...

I'd love to do a whole suspension R&R/upgrade like you guys are talking about, but my more immediate needs are rear spring replacement due to failure and impending failure...

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

seriously, swapping in a new set of springs shouldnt take any longer than the time it would take you to take it to someone, deal with them, pick the rig up, and pay them. just have all the tools and parts and stuff ready to go and when you get an hour or two dive into it... you can do it!!

j

8. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

hEY i CAN SEND YOU THE bolts that came with my new springs /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I went with greasable so Ive got the TCI bolts. If you order TCI they should send you the bolts. Just talk to Stephen @ ORD he helped me out with what I needed .

9. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I just called 4Wheel Parts and they quoted $128 front and $194 rear for the rancho 2.5" lift springs (that not installed thats my pickup price).
    I would say if your just doing replacement, call you closest parts place and order some lift springs to match the front and do it yourself (if you REALLY dont want to do it, ask the parts place most do installs). Only thing, dont forget the rear brake line and new ubolts/shocks!
    Good Luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    $128 front and $194 rear for the rancho 2.5" lift springs

Is this for each spring, or pairs ?

11. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Pairs I would imagin. When I talked to him he said fronts are .... and the rear will be .....
    So yeah I'm guessing thats the price for pairs. I asked about a kit rancho has with all four springs, ubolts and shocks, he said he doesn't have the kit but could put together a kit. SO, I would say you get two springs and probley new bushings at each price? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I figured up and $322 for a 2.5" lift, otherwise it would be 644 for just the 2.5" springs /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    If its 644 for just the 4 springs I will order the 3" TC EZride kit with everything including shocks for that price.

To answer your question I'm not sure. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

12. 91k5NC

91k5NC 1/2 ton status

if it was me and had the money i would get the lift springs and put the on my self like everybody else is saying. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif