Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is this a good Truss? more...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Impex, Jun 12, 2000.

1. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

i was looking around and found this, would this help the 12 bolt out much and does it take up much ground clearance? Because i just finished installing my lift and i need 35's. And was wondering if this would help but im worried about ground clearance.
    [​IMG]
    http://www.4wheelparts.com:80/product2.asp?imseqn=891&occlass=CON&cat=TUB

2. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

Save your money for a 14 bolt if thw 12 bolt ever decides to go. most of the weakness of the 12 bolts are in the axle shafts and ring & pinion. That said, I don't think you'll have any problems with 35's and a 12 bolt, I've ran 35's with 10 and 12 bolts with no major problems and I'm not nice to my vehicles.

3. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

the one in the picture you posted is for the front.
    if you got one for the rear, it would not hinder ground clearance much.
    keep in mind that a truss does not save you from blowing up your internal parts. it only prevents the tubes from flexing too much when you land hard or load the rear with weight.

Knife.

4. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

Im know this has been covered before but when i swap in the 14 bolt does the perches ahve to be moved? what about the brakelines, and d-shaft? And will the rims i have now fit with the drum size is what i mean. And cant i get the spacers in the rear that Steve wrote a review on, dont those come so i can still use my 6 lug rims like convert the lug size can they do that also or no?

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Actually that is the one for the rear with out the skid plate! The one for the front uses a square type bolt not a U shape!
    I know I had both front and rear ConnFerr SuperSkid axel truses on my 72.
    I am still using the front one!
    Pros and Cons....
    Great skid pertection that I would use on perpouse to 'skid' over obsicals if need be. I did bend the bar part from time to time but that was ok just left it bent and helped the clearance.
    Holds the axel housing together!! I have told the story hear befor about the time I 'TWISTED' the 12bolt rear while out wheelin and it made my 12 look like a smile, with the pumkin sittin low and the rear tires cocked inward. If it wasen't for that truss I swear to this day there would have been NO way I could have droven my rig home for 6hrs in front wheel drive only limping all the way!!!!!!!!
    Yes I now have a beefed up Dana60 with no truss!
    But for the 100 bucks I spent on it back then it was a GREAT idea!
    sup to you but for a truss I would not get anyother one except for ConFerr!!!!
    Don't get the one in pic get the 'SuperSkid' one if you doit!!!

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin
    http://burt4x4.coloradok5.com

6. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

7. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

8. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

hey burt,
    i am pretty sure it was for the front because the attachment to the diff housing is on one side and not in the center like the rear. the picture you posted is the same but yours is with the skid plate.

Knife.

9. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Good point! on the location of the 'center' piece.
    I was looking at the ends and the ends are different than what I have on my D44 truss. The ones shown are identical to the rear 12bolt I had. It must be a pic for a front truss on someother make/model????
    Thanks for opening my eyes!
    Burt

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin
    http://burt4x4.coloradok5.com

10. 78k5

78k5 1/2 ton status

O.K. this may sound stupid but if I were to replace my axles, currently 10 & 12 bolt. with 3/4 ton axles will I be able to keep my lift for my half ton?

11. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

Yes, but you might need new U-bolts.

12. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    Imprex,

Well that all depends. I have a 93 S/F 14 in my truck, and today I spent a couple hours welding in the perches & shock mounts. If I remember correctly, in all the Pick-up's from 88 and on, and Larger trucks 92 and on you will have to move the spring perches. The chassis changed in the years stated.

If you get a GM rearend with 6 lugs, it should fit all the wheels with 6 lugs. Unless you want to run 14" wheels or something crazy like that. As far as using spacers to convert from 8 to 6 lugs... I dunno.

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez