Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is this a J Code intake?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 4x4dreamer, Sep 18, 2002.

1. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

2. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Yes, that is the early style J code intake. It is a divided plenum style. The later models are single plenum, and completely open in the middle with no divider, like the one I put on my '81.

Casey

3. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

which would be a better choice for my 83? Which one makes more power? Where can I get one? How much? Who's arse do I have to kick to get more power outo f my tank???

Thanks /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

4. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

I think the open plenum style produces more power in the long run. The Diesel Depot sells used J code intakes for under a $100.

There's tons of info over at www.thedieselpage.com

If you're serious about knowing more about your GM diesel and how to get more power of it, sign up for the membership. It will be the best $15 you ever spent. Also order all the back issues of feature articles, or at least the first two years' worth. They contain a lot of info about how to get more power out of the 6.2L.

Basically, you want to get more air in, and more air out. One member, Dr. Lee Swanger, made his own air cleaner assy. and stacked two air filters in there with a 4" induction from the grill. He then made his own exhaust adapters to allow 2.5" pipes to be bolted directly to the manifolds. I had the same adpaters made and installed them on my '81. I have 2.5 pipes exiting the manifolds, turning into dual 3" pipes. I have a J code intake. I have more power than most people expect from a 6.2L.

Casey