Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is this a ok deal..... 1994 Honda Accord for $1500

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by protechk5, Jul 28, 2006.

1. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

Ok my truck just got totaled. I leave for school next Friday. I need to find a car fast. I only want something that will get me from Va to Ga a few years until i save up for a new truck. I found a 94 Honda Accord 5spd with 177,000miles on it. He wants $1500. Its a 2.2l, 2 door, new tires, battery. Its in pretty good condition, but its real dirty. I can clean it up so thats no problem. Said the master cylinder and slave cylinder has been replaced, but not the clutch. I test drove it, seem to drive good. I didnt notice anything wrong with it, besides some rattle when it got to like 2500rpms or something, but I think alot of hondas do that?? But over all it ran good, stoped good, tracked in a straight line. Ohh and it had a small oil leak on the front of the engine some where, but it look like a smaller leak.

What else should I look for?? How much would it cost to replace the engine in that? Or clutch?? How many miles do those things last for? Any info would be great if youve owned one or worked on them. The blue book on it is like $3000, so I was thinking I could drive it for a year or two and sell it for what I bought it for.

Andrew

2. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

For recyclers around here, that's about a $400-600 engine. 177,000 isn't too many miles on a honda, but if the interior is a dirty mess that can also mean it was not maintained well.
    I don't think of honda's as having " rattely" engines. The price is right, but I would see if the seller will let you check it out with someone who really knows those engines.

just my .02 cents.

EDIT, I notice you didn't specificly state the engine had a rattle, I assumed.

3. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

No well its dirty b/c its been sitting for like a few months, the inside is pretty clean. Yeah I dont know what that rattle was, could of been just like a heat sheild or something.

4. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Tell him you want to take it to a shop for a prebuy inspection....Id recomend HRM over off alban rd

5. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

The alban in Springfeild??

6. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Yep, hes over accross from the McDonalds and The big pet resort, right behind Wilbar as you heading south on backlick. Tims a good guy and has a killer K5 show truck, its the red and white one with the 9/11 painting on it

7. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

ok yeah ill see if that guy is up for that

8. fordeater

fordeater 1/2 ton status Premium Member

i don't know a ton about those cars, but i had a 94 accord. See if he has any maintenance records. Find out when the timing belt was changed last. It will be a nightmare of a car if the timing belt hasn't been changed in awhile, and the belt is missing teeth and accidentally jumps a few teeth and then costs like $800-$1000 to repair. Ask me how i know. I never had any rattles in my 94 or 96, but i think motor mounts were a common problem.

9. 84blazin

84blazin 1/2 ton status

A 94 2dr I believe is a CD7. Nice car especially if there is no rust. 177K on a 2.2 isnt bad at all. Clutch wise you can get an Exedy stage one racing clutch for cheaper than OEM. There shouldnt be any rattling coming from the motor. Might be a motor mount going bad. I know when I bought my 90 accord I had tons of shakin/rattling due to a front mount going bad. Parts are plentyful and inexpensive.