Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is this a really bad thing?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84_okie, Mar 10, 2005.

1. 84_okie

84_okie Registered Member

When I start my truck up I can see flames shooting out a small gap between the exhaust manifold and where it connects to the rest of the exhaust. what would be causing this? and how do i fix it? Thanks for the help

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

You've got an exhaust leak....

When fresh air can get inside your exhaust, and unburnt fuel now has the ability to burn where normally it would just come out the exhaust pipes as raw, unburnt fuel.

You should definitely fix any leaks in the exhaust, not just because of the obvious fire danger, but because the carbon-monoxide that is ALSO escaping can kill you.

My next suggestion after you get the exhaust fixed is to test the A/F ratio with some sort of exhaust "sniffer"... just to make sure you aren't running overly rich.

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

That location is typical, it's that donut gasket and it could be easy or hard as hell if your bolts and nuts are rusted.

The part is cheap and it took me about 30 min for both sides once and the one time it was really bad I broke one of the studs off and it took me 3 days to replace.
    :mad:

4. mudhound72

mudhound72 1/2 ton status

A torch :weld: is your best buddy when dealing with rusty exh I did custom exh work for years and nothing more will ruin your day like sone snaped off studs