Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is this a Scam?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sunnyc123abc, Jul 7, 2006.

1. sunnyc123abc

sunnyc123abc 1/2 ton status

I am selling a subwoofer on recycler.com and i got this e-mail. It sounds like a scam to me but i dunno for sure:confused:. here is the email the guy sent me.

GREETINGS,
    NOTIFICATION FOR INTREST IN THE( Home Theatre Systems) FOR SALE
    I saw you advert for for your sale. Everything sounds well and am okay with the price and I will be offering you $90 extra for it so i will want you to keep other buyer's off.Concerning payment I have a friend in the state who is ready to issue you a US POSTAL MONEY ORDERS in Usa funds since I don't have the funds in your currency. For convinient and easy transaction, I have a liable shipping agent who'd be responsible for the shipping.i will instruct my friend to issue out payment of ($3600) as soon as you receive payment i will like you to get it cashed and send the excess fund to my shipper who will be coming to do the pickup at your resdent.the fund you send to the shipper will stand for the shipping fee and all the other important document needed for the shippment .I will therefore need the following information of yours to forward to my friend so as to be able to send you payment
    NAME IN FULL........
    ADDRESS IN FULL..........
    STATE..............
    ZIPCODE........
    COUNTRY.........
    CELL/OFFICE/HOME PHONE NUMBER.......
    I await your soonest reply.

2. wicked87_k5

wicked87_k5 1/2 ton status

A buddy of mine got the same exact email for a car he was selling on a forum, and i mean exactly the same letter. just replace sub-woofer with car and change the amount of $$ The email came from the UK. Can we say...SCAM

3. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Anything like that using money orders or cashiers checks where they send you extra money is a scam. Money orders and cashiers checks are easily copied. I know a lot of places won't accept money orders anymore.

An AM talk show I listen too called the troubleshooter Tom Martino gets tons of calls on this stuff.

4. sunnyc123abc

I thought it sounded like a scam. thanks for the relpys

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I like to reply and say if your friend can go get a money order and arrange a pickup , the picker upper can bring me cash :)

6. sunnyc123abc

ok, i got another email...this one kinda sounds like a scam, but im not sure.

Hello ,
    Thanks for your Sincere Corporation and understanding to this transaction.I am satisfied with the purchase and willing to make out Payment right away to you. Payment would be mailed to you via a USPS MAIL .I want you to understand that you will be receiving a check for $2000,the excess is for my shipper that will becoming for pick up,the funds will be used for the shipping of the {subwoofer} along side other goods i placed order for in care of my shipper once you receive the check get it cashed and deduct your money ($150) and an extra $100 for the stress of catching and runing around and then proceed to a western union outlet and have my shipping Charges Paid to My delivery company.I hope i can trust you with my shipping company charges.Please acknowledge this em ail I have sent you and await my Payment.I request you provide me with your details, for Payme nt to be Issued and mailed out to you .Details : Name in full: , Address: , City: , State: , Zipcode: Phone#: Thanks as I await your Payment Details.
    Gilbson Alice
    20 Marina Avenue,
    Beaumont Estate,
    Tesax,77077
    USA

7. cycologic

cycologic Registered Member

I always check grammar and spelling when I get emails regarding an item I am selling or auctioning. If I have the slightest hint that something is funky, I either don't sell it to them or demand cash. I'm a Texan and don't know where Beaumont Estate, Tesax is located.

8. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I just heard about a scam where they use a check for a legitimate bank account with adequate funds. The trick is they change the routing number. Then the check floats around in never-never land so long that you figure it's good and release the goods. Eventually it comes back as bad, and you're out the money and the merchandise is gone.

I just wouldn't accept any payment that is over the purchase price. Why can't he send the money to the shipper himself? I'm sure sending 2 payments would be less than the $100 he's telling you that you can have for your trouble.

9. sunnyc123abc

good point