Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

is this bad (and what is this!)?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by amm888, Aug 10, 2002.

1. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

this wire next to my carb is loose (? - 1)...so i followed it and found this ball/chain disconnected over my driver's side wheel-well (? - 2). can anyone tell me what this thing does, and should i try and reconnect it? the truck seems to run fine...

thanks for the help,
    alex

[image]http://community.webshots.com/photo/45863608/46514419MvtAMv[/image]

[image]http://community.webshots.com/photo/45863608/46514456dlXxjC[/image]

2. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

Re: is this bad?

darn, the pics didn't work....

3. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

here are links to the pics

pic 1

pic 2

4. mdm365

mdm365 1/2 ton status

Well I do belive that is the cruze controll diafram.does the cruze controll work?

5. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

i didn't know i had cruise control (just got the truck a couple of weeks ago)...where is the switch? i've got a button at the very end of my turn signal lever, could that be it?

6. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

yeh thats it, also there should be a for lack of a better term, slide lever lookin thing on the end, and words like off, on, set/resume my words are worn off but are shiny so u can see em still at the right angle. My cruise dont work i gotta fix it, but those are the controls.

7. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Not on a '76. They use the old style, just a button on the end of the turnsignal lever. I know they changed it sometime between 1980-85, just don't remember the exact year.

8. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

no slide, no words, no nothin', just the button at the end...

9. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

so i take it the pics are of the cruise control? i'll hook it back up and see if she works (hope the engine don't blow-up!)

thanks guys

10. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

thats right, /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif , i 4get they didnt use the same one all the time. Losing my mind as we speak lol

11. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

Uh I sorry they used Both type switches on 76.........76 was the year that had split year parts. I have a 76 now and have had 3 others all had different styles of cruise control switches. Thats the facts Jack!
    Bill

12. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Cruise. My 79 has the same set up. Press the button once to set it. Press it and hold it and it's Acel quick tap and it's off. If you had set it then hit the brakes it shuts off. It you tap the button then it's Resume.
    There is a couple switches on the brake peddle. One is the cruise and one is the brake lights. thos switches often get screwed up with age. Check those for age. The way it's wired the switch is pressed when your foot is off the brakes. If the switch is not pressed then the cruise will not engage. That was what was wrong with my 79 when I got it. once I fixed that it has worked great.
    If your on the hwy and you come to a stop after using the cruise. Get going about 30 MPH and hit the resume button that sucker will hit passing gear and punch it up to speed. Freaked me out the first time I did that. Though the throttle stuck and hit the brakes and it stopped. LOL hit it again and sure enough as soon as it got back up to speed it took it easy.

13. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Just took a good close look at the second picture. The other thing with the vacume hoses comming out of it is the Crusise control speed pick up. Looks the the Cable is off it. The speedo cable routing will be from tranny to that modual then a second cable runs up to the speedometer. If the speedometer works then at some point a cable broke or the Cruise contorl modual locked up and it was by passed with a speedometer cable from a non cuise equipped truck.
    Look in your glove box and there should be a build sticker that shows all the options the truck came with.

14. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

thanks for the tips grim /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

15. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

hey grim,
    i found it interesting your info on the cruise control. i recently purchased the complete (or so i was told) cruise control kit (used) to put in my blazer which doesnt have cc. is there any way you could email me detailed pics of your complete system and tell me more about the break pedal switches. im not sure i have those, or is it just a wire to plug in ? ive kept all info related to this subject pertaining to our vehicles year i have come across on ck5. any help is greatly appreciated. thanks.

16. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Is the setup you bought from the same year as your truck? You sound like you aren't sure what year it is, and if its electric ('85 up?) it will be totally different from a '79.

17. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

Thats the same setup on my 79. I need to get mine fixed though.

18. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

nope,nope. its not newer. its a 78' and is the same. i just have to buy a new push button wand. just need to know exactly where everything goes and how everything works and relates to each other. thanks.

19. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I've never seen seen the new style on something that old that wasn't swapped in. My '80 and my old '78 both had only the button in the end of the stalk. Maybe the one with the big end was an option?