Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is this behavior due to my shocks?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NerdBoy, Aug 11, 2005.

1. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

When I installed my 14bff, I had to get new shocks.
    I ended up with Skyjacker H7078 shocks in the rear. These are multi-valved shocks.

When I hit bigger bumps, it feels almost like the rear suspension compresses a couple of inches, and then stops. I understand that the valving in shocks like this change with the velocity of the movement.
    I have checked the suspension for any binding, and I can't find any. On more gradual bumps, the suspension compresses fine.

I have never had shocks that had this "multi-stage valving"
    Is it possible that the shocks are causing this behavior? It actually feels like something is binding, to be honest, but, as I said, I can't find anything that is.

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Not sure what to tell you. But check and make sure the shocks aren't too long and bottoming out.. That would cause the suspension to stop moving.

3. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

That would be my first guess as well.

4. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

I have about 8 inches of throw on them before they bottom out. I wouldn't think the suspension is moving that much. I'm just wondering if the valving is causing the shocks to stiffen up on harder bumps.

5. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

The valving could stiffen the shocks on harder bumps, but I dont think it would change enough to completely stop the suspension travel....

Did you have this problem with your old shocks? And did you compare the body lengths of the old shocks vs. the new shock?

6. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

It doesn't completely stop the travel. It kinda feels like I have hit the rubber bump-stop. I know I haven't, though, as I don't have rubber bump-stops.
    It's hard to explain, but it feels like it travels an inche, and then firms up a lot.

The reason I got new ones is because I put a 14bff in there, and the shock mounts were lower than they were on my old axle. I measured out what I needed, and got a set that has about 12" of travel (I know, that isn't a lot, but this isn't a rock crawler). It's set up so I have about 7-8 inches up travel, and 4-5 inches down travel.
    And, as far as I can tell, there isn't any binding.

7. BAJA_BLAZER

BAJA_BLAZER 1/2 ton status Author

Put a ZIP Tie around each shock shaft at the top and go take on that hardcore speed bump (use 4-Hi if necessary). The ZIP Tie will tell you how far the shaft traveled into the shock body. If you don’t have any ZIP Ties you can smear some grease on the shafts, it will tell you the same thing. You can also put some grease on the rubber bump stop, if it transfers to the contact point on the axle, then you are bottoming out there.

8. camok5

camok5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Also if you are not use to running a 14ff they are alot heavier and becuase it is unsprung weight it feels different. Even with custom deaver springs mine still feels harsh when going over pot holes, etc...

9. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

well what springs do you have ? 3/4 or 1 ton ones ? or ? how manmy leaves

you have ot rmemeber that alot of leaves will make for a real stiff non compressing ride

unloaded bigger trucks with bigger packs always pretty much bounce over bumps, the springs are just so stiff unloaded

im not sure if you mean your are having problem of lack of compression, or too much compression of the suspension

confused
    all that shocks are supposed to do is keep the vehicle from rebounding up and down after bumps, they dont support weight or anything like that

they keep the vehicle from floating vertically like a boat on rough waves

good luck

10. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

BAJA_BLAZER:
    I did the zip-tie thing, already, and I am not bottoming out, I do know that.

R72K5:
    They are the stock 1/2 ton springs. I can't say that I am having lack of compression, or too much. The issue is that the suspension compresses a bit, and gets really harsh.

camok5:
    The more I think about it, I think you might have the right idea. I realized a few things tonight, after taking it for a drive. First, I realized that it almost feels like wheel-hop. Second, I realized that I had the tires switched to new rims and let the shop air them up for me. Before I did the swap, I ran them at around 27psi, and I'll bet the shop filled them to 30 or more. Third, I realized that I went from a somewhat light axle to a behemoth. The extra 200 or more pounds that my 35s are supporting, unsprung, might cause the tires to bounce around a bit more. I am going to play with tire pressures a little, and see what I can come up with.

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions, so far!

11. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

Add Superlift shocks to the list of shocks that don't work properly when mounted upside down. The passenger side shock wouldn't mount right side up with my new axle, and taking the advice of a parts counter guy, I mounted them upside-down. I'm guessing that the air space caused what I was feeling.

I fabricated a new mount for the passenger side this weekend, and flipped the shocks back over, and the problem has gone away.
    Thanks to everyone that gave me advice here!

12. camok5

camok5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Glad to hear you figured out your problem, just to let you know most cheaper shocks like skyjackers, ranchos, pro comps, etc... dont work well upside down unless its a mono tube shock.