Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

is this block ruined???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by solowookie, Nov 25, 2002.

1. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

I've got a 307 block that I am disassembling to inspect, and considering using it in another project, don't even start with the 307 block I know exactly what I got.

anyway - here's the scoop. this thing is / was rusted from years outside without being covered properly. I had a real hard time getting the pistons out, the rod caps, and the crank. I ended up using a sledge to get the stuff out.

well, other things are real hard anyway, and evidently my rod end got caught on the inside lip of a couple pistons. it chipped a piece about a quarter of an inch deep on the lip of 2 pistons.

is this block ruined? can it be used as is, and if not can it be sleaved? what are the implications of sleaving a block?

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well your going to toss the pistons so who cares on them. What was damaged on the block? All you mentioned being damaged was the pistons. Machine shop is going to have you best answers. Most bore overs are 30-40 thousands. As long as the rust is not deeper than that your fine.

3. solowookie

the inside lip of the cyl. wall has a chip about a 1/4" deep, and about an inch long.

just got off the phone with a machinest. he thought the biggest concern would be if I had cracked the cyl. wall when I chipped it, but he said the chip wouldn't be a problem.

I'm thinking I'll inspect for cracks as much as possible, and shove it under the bench until I get to where I'll be working on that project. I'll have it mag'd when I get ready to use it to make sure it's OK.

4. Grim-Reaper

Yeah have it Magna fluxed before you put any cash in it. That will tell you for sure.Fact of the matter is you could pick up a short block for around $700 that is ready to go at most parts stores. Only down side to that is if you plan to put some performance parts on it. Me persoannaly I would scrap it with that sort of damage and get a 350 long block. lots more parts avaialbe for less. Only reason I wouldn't do that is if it was a numbers matching block to a restoration vehicle.

5. solowookie

I dunno - I kind of like the idea of the 307... I've heard they are one of the most reliable SBC's, and I'm also concerned about economy. this block I've got planned for a late 30's 4 door I will build as a family traveler.

350 would be nice, but I think it's overkill for the project. a nice 307 with a 305 TPI sitting on it would be just the ticket.

6. Grim-Reaper

My buddy had a early 80's Camaro with a 305 or maybe 307. Ran great. Never right and would pass emmissions. He built the wazzzoo out of a 35 and put it in there. Got better gas millage out of the 350 and a HELL of a lot more power.
    307 is good because it has thick cylinder walls. Also it was back when the knickle content was a little higher so it was more wear resistant.

7. solowookie

I've got an extra 350 block sitting here as well as that 307... I don't know I'll have to figure out which is more convient when I get to that point. it will seriously be awhile before I get to it.

when I get this 50 chevy hotrodded out I'll see how my power / MPG works out. I'm dropping a 383 stroker in it, and I'll be putting FI on it down the road. I'm planning on putting some cheap heads (anything ready to go that's under $250) with a carb.

after I get the truck done then I'm planning on dropping on some AFR's with a holley commander.