Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

is this common......?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bigmeats, Dec 11, 2001.

1. Bigmeats

Bigmeats 1/2 ton status

I pulled the cam out of my Blazer today and noticed that besides the very round lobe I had mid way down the cam the lobe for my fuel pump was badly warn also. So much that there was a 3/32 or so lip that was formed by the wearing. What could be the possible reasons this happened (pump installed cocked or something) and can it be prevented from happening again?
    Thanks for the help!

Bigmeats

1975 Blazer

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Might have just been old and worn out. But replace the pump shaft when you install the new cam and use the break-in lube on that lobe when you install the new cam. Perhaps that engine was run with low oil levels (or just really dirty oil) at some time in its life.

Also, there's a bolt hole in the front of the engine that goes all the way through to the area where the pump shaft lives. You insert a longer bolt into that hole to hold the shaft in place while you install the fuel pump. Maybe someone tried to start the engine before removing that bolt??? That would score the pump lobe pretty bad. [​IMG] Be sure to replace the short bolt when you're done, and use a bit of thread sealer on it to keep oil from weeping out around the threads.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

3. Bigmeats

Bigmeats 1/2 ton status

thanks for the advice

Bigmeats

1975 Blazer

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Your profile doesn't specify what motor you've got, but 305s have a rep for losing the fuel pump cam lobe earlier than others. I had a similar problem that resulted in frequent vapor locking. I solved the problem by installing an electric pump back by the fuel tank and eliminating the mech. pump.

<font color=blue> NEVER FORGET, NEVER FORGIVE, NEVER SURRENDER<font color=blue>

5. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Carl,

Its very common in smallblock chevys. In fact, its more common than seeing yourself, Bryan and Glenn on ColoradoK5 these days! [​IMG] Naw, sounds like you got the answer you were looking for, just thought I would give you a load of crap. Hope all is well and have Happy Holidays. We may have a run closer to you next year in Attica Indiana. Hope to see you there.

Later,

Neil

Mudzer 1978/91 K5
    <font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://www.mudzer.rockcrawler.com>www.mudzer.rockcrawler.com</a></font color=blue>